WH20 Switch Matrix Weirdness or Ruleset?

Menace

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005

I've been playing my latest WH20 for a bit now and I'm curious to know if
I've got a switch matrix problem or if it's just part of the ruleset. (I
tried searching the group, but came up empty)

If a particular ramp is lit (say Insanity Falls for the hell of it), but I
hammer Disaster Drop a bunch of times in a row the pin rewards me with
hitting the Insanity Falls? Now this isn't to say this only happens with
Disaster Drop, it can happen with the 3-bank kickback targets or any other
ramp I hit multiple times as it will award any given lit ramp it chooses.
(at least that I've been able to figure out)

Now is this supposed to happen or is something not quite right? Reason I'm
asking is I never noticed this on my last WH20.

Thanks,
Doug

Taxman wrote:
> Suppose to happen. If you loop a hazard a few times (depending on
> difficulty setting) it will award you a lit hazard. This helps if you have

Not loop "a" hazard.. only Disaster Drop spots hazards. Check the
display, it shows the next award interval when you shoot the ramp. In
addition to hazards, DD will light extra ball, and will also spot one
full raft at a certain point. Note also that completing the Bounceback
targets when the kickback is already lit will also spot a hazard. The
most difficult lit hazard is always spotted - Boomerand, Insanity, and
down the line.

> one you just can't shoot a shot. Like Boomerang Bend is too hard or a weak
> right flipper not letting you ever make it up Spine Chiller.
>
> - Dave
>

> "Menace" <menace@internet.look.ca> wrote in message
> > I've been playing my latest WH20 for a bit now and I'm curious to know if
> > I've got a switch matrix problem or if it's just part of the ruleset. (I
> > tried searching the group, but came up empty)
> >
> > If a particular ramp is lit (say Insanity Falls for the hell of it), but I
> > hammer Disaster Drop a bunch of times in a row the pin rewards me with
> > hitting the Insanity Falls? Now this isn't to say this only happens with
> > Disaster Drop, it can happen with the 3-bank kickback targets or any other
> > ramp I hit multiple times as it will award any given lit ramp it chooses.
> > (at least that I've been able to figure out)
> >
> > Now is this supposed to happen or is something not quite right? Reason
> I'm
> > asking is I never noticed this on my last WH20.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Doug

Taxman

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Suppose to happen. If you loop a hazard a few times (depending on
difficulty setting) it will award you a lit hazard. This helps if you have
one you just can't shoot a shot. Like Boomerang Bend is too hard or a weak
right flipper not letting you ever make it up Spine Chiller.

- Dave

"Menace" <menace@internet.look.ca> wrote in message
> I've been playing my latest WH20 for a bit now and I'm curious to know if
> I've got a switch matrix problem or if it's just part of the ruleset. (I
> tried searching the group, but came up empty)
>
> If a particular ramp is lit (say Insanity Falls for the hell of it), but I
> hammer Disaster Drop a bunch of times in a row the pin rewards me with
> hitting the Insanity Falls? Now this isn't to say this only happens with
> Disaster Drop, it can happen with the 3-bank kickback targets or any other
> ramp I hit multiple times as it will award any given lit ramp it chooses.
> (at least that I've been able to figure out)
>
> Now is this supposed to happen or is something not quite right? Reason
I'm
> asking is I never noticed this on my last WH20.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Menace

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005

Thanks Dave! At least now I can relax a bit..... The last thing I wanted
to get into was matrix troubleshooting.

Doug

Menace wrote:
> I've been playing my latest WH20 for a bit now and I'm curious to know if
> I've got a switch matrix problem or if it's just part of the ruleset. (I
> tried searching the group, but came up empty)

It's all explained right there on page 44 of the rulesheet!!! Sheesh -
RTFM already!

Just kidding - pinballreviews.com hit it on the head with their summary
- a pic of Professor Frink from the Simpsons with the text "The overly
intelligent ruleset for its time." :)

Kevin Martin did an incredible job compiling all those rules, and he
even explained the various differences among ROMs. That couldn't have
been easy. It sure keeps the game interesting - so many combos of
rules that there always seems to be something new.

-- Jim (C*V, F*H, WH2@)