Sign in with
Your question

3000XP overclockable?

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2004 6:00:50 AM

I just bought a 3000XP FSB 333 and wondering if I can overclock it. If anyone has done it I would love some advice. BTW is there any diff. in performance from the 400FSB version?

More about : 3000xp overclockable

January 7, 2004 8:34:14 AM

Yeah you should be able to, but not by very much. CPU cores are a bit like engines in a way... You can have a basic 1.6 Litre thing which produces, say, 80Hp. You could then upgrade bits, stick a turbo on it, etc, and get the power output up by 60% (to ~130hp). But if when you bought it it <i>already</i> had a turbo etc. then you definitely <i>won't</i> be able to increase by 60%, as it's already been 'tuned' to a certain level..

What I'm trying to get at is most Barton core Athlon XPs will actually overclock to the roughly the same level, so if you planned on overclocking from the outset you may as well have bought a 2500+... But hey, what's done is done I guess.

Exactly how much you can overclock depends on a few things:
Which motherboard you have (probably the single biggest factor here, after the CPU itself);
What RAM you have;
Whether your CPU is multiplier locked or not (yours is more likely to be UNlocked, but it depends on when it was made)
How good your CPU cooling is.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:
January 7, 2004 1:34:37 PM

I feel people underestimate Intel and AMD's rating of processor (when they decide which die would get which multiplier and be sold at what price). You prolly won't be able to get a P4 2.4 or 2.6C to 3.2GHZ without pumping up the voltage quite a bit, where as the P4 3.2 works at just 0.025v more. So what separates a good overclock from a post-it-on-Tom's-for-everyone-to-envy-you one is prolly the quality of the core, which makes it very cool to get a cheap processor which should have been sold at a higher frequency and overclocking it to what an expensive processor could do.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...
Related resources
January 7, 2004 2:30:24 PM

Fanboy!!

I'll stick with my £65 2500+ *cough* 3200+ thanks :p 

And 40~42*C with a 2500rpm fan aint exactly cooking is it?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ITSALLBS on 01/07/04 11:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 7, 2004 3:03:58 PM

Quote:
And 40~42*C with a 2500rpm fan aint exactly cooking is it?

Is that from an onboard temp. monitor? for it seems rather low though...

January 7, 2004 3:09:19 PM

Ambient temp was 21*C so to me it seems correct. Im using an Thermalright SLK900U and 92mm 2500rpm fan. Yes it was from the winbond hardware monitor provided with the NF7-S.

I have 2 low rpm intakes and 2 lowrpm out takes plus a side fan blowing air in. In other words the system is well set up. All fans are on a Nexus fan controller and can be scaled up and down depending on need (ie. higher voltage/overclock). For example the 92mm fan on the cpu and go from 2500rpm upto 4600rpm. Yes we are talking sub 40*C load temps, but at a noisy price. 42*C load at quiet fan speed is good enuff for me :-D
January 7, 2004 4:15:36 PM

Umm yeah! Not by choice though, where I live, AMD isn't so popular and cheap and everyone has Intel, so that's what I know... I'll try and make sure my next system would be AMD, *promise*.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...
!