First day thoughts on Windows Vista

I just thought I'd share some intial observations in regards to Windows
Vista. I'll probably be updating this thread with more posts as I go along
as well.

Day 1
it on to my testing machine. The first thing that I noticed was that the
upgrade capability had not yet been installed, or was being disallowed (which
is typical in a lot of the evaluation media that you get)

I attempted to do an overwrite of my Windows Xp installation. There was a
prompt informing me that the old operating system files including the
Documents and Settings and user Directories would be moved to a directory
called "Windows.old". This would have been an extremely huge bonus...had it
worked.

Unfortunately the installation kept hanging on the Confguring page. I
finally resorted to a clean installation and everything went smoothly.

Complaints
-----------------------
There was never a prompt, requesting for an Administrative password, or
domain information, or userids.
There was never a prompt for Time Zone settings.
There could be a little bit more on the configuring windows page other than
that little scrolling green bar at the bottom. (It's too hypnotic)

After the initial installation and logon, I unpacked the provisional drivers
pack and installed it. Fortunately, it picked up on my Wireless network card
and I was able to get connectivity to my network. I then installed Office
2003 and all of the updates. The went on to the drivers that were not found.

The first of the drivers that I attempted to install were the drivers for my
SoundBlaster Live 5.1. I was really disappointed to see that there were no
WHQL drivers already available for this device as it has been on the market
for almost five years. But, I suppose that's SoundBlaster's gig.

Unfortunately, SoundBlaster has not created any drivers for Vista as of yet.

So I installed the Windows XP driver for the unit, and found that it works
fine, with the exception of the digital output not being functional. Oh
well...analog speakers here I come...

Next was the installation of Anti-virus software.

I was seriously disappointed when I found that the installer for the eTrust
Antivirus 2005 would not function in Windows Vista except in Application
Compatability Mode.

I was even more disappointed when I found that the eTrust Antivirus 2005,
active scan and e-mail scan functions do not work with Windows Vista. I have
submitted a bug report to Computer Associates.

Cool Stuff!!!
-------------------------------
The graphical layout of Windows Vista is very exciting. I love the thinner,
black toolbar and the transparent windows. The new icons are very
refreshing. The new layout of the Start menu takes a little bit of getting
used to but I'm getting the hang of it.

Anyway, more after tonight!
--
~My work is a game, a very serious game.
M. C. Escher (1898 - 1972)

    William Anderson wrote:
    > I just thought I'd share some intial observations in regards to Windows
    > Vista. I'll probably be updating this thread with more posts as I go
    > along as well...
    <snip>

    Heaven help us.
    --
    ~PAB

    William Anderson schrieb:

    > ... The new icons are very
    > refreshing. The new layout of the Start menu takes a little bit of getting
    > used to but I'm getting the hang of it.

    I assume you have been writing this in 2001 - regarding the new
    Windows XP;-)

    r0y

    nah...i hated the Xp layout at first...almost threw my monitor out the window
    :-p
    --

    PA Bear schrieb:
    > William Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I just thought I'd share some intial observations in regards to Windows
    >> Vista. I'll probably be updating this thread with more posts as I go
    >> along as well...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Heaven help us.

    William might wish to present his experience and opinions in detail in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general - may be the Heaven will help
    him there...

    r0y

Windows Vista Windows XP