Sign in with
Your question

HP defective cartridge lawsuit

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 4, 2011 7:27:33 PM

Hello,
I have a defective HP tri color cart that was bought Summer 2010 that give s "left print cart must be replaced" message when in place. I don't use color ink, only black, but the printer won't work unless both are in place. I took it back to Staples and they tried to clean it with a Qtip and alcohol and tried it in one of their printers and it still didn't work. They gave me an 800 number that got me no where. SO I am out $30 for a cart that I will never use that is not even able to fill the spot so that my black cart can work. I feel cheated and HP doesn't stand by their products!

Would love a suggestion.
a b α HP
January 5, 2011 7:10:32 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Computer Peripherals by Buwish
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 5, 2011 7:45:29 AM

I'd write (a letter by mail) to HP's Customer Relations dept explaining what happened and expressing your disappointment at their product's performance. Make it clear that you are also sending a copy of the letter to Staples' Customer Relations people too.

Chances are HP and/or Staples will send you a replacement rather than engage in a long correspondence.

If they don't respond satisfactorily, it would be quite good fun to issue a small claims court case against HP or Staples -- in the UK one would sue the retailer but there seems to be a contractual relationship between customer and maker in the US.

Defending it would simply not be worth either company's time so you might win by default. But presumably your time is worth more than the cost of the cartridge and you probably won't get compensation for that even if you win.
Related resources
January 9, 2011 5:46:23 AM

if you keep the receipt for the ink cartridges you should be able to return it to the place of purchase for a replacement.
July 23, 2011 5:42:07 AM

Quote:
Hello,
I have a defective HP tri color cart that was bought Summer 2010 that give s "left print cart must be replaced" message when in place. I don't use color ink, only black, but the printer won't work unless both are in place. I took it back to Staples and they tried to clean it with a Qtip and alcohol and tried it in one of their printers and it still didn't work. They gave me an 800 number that got me no where. SO I am out $30 for a cart that I will never use that is not even able to fill the spot so that my black cart can work. I feel cheated and HP doesn't stand by their products!

Would love a suggestion.

HP absolutely stand behind their products! I know, I used to work in the warranty support department.
If you call 1-800-HP-INVENT they will walk you through some troubleshooting, and replace the cartridge if the cartridge is still under warranty (the printer itself doesn't even need to be under warranty, as long as the cartridge is).
They will either replace the cartridge if it cannot be revived, replace the printer if it's the problem (and the printer is under warranty) or send you a voucher for the replacement value including taxes (and they always over estimate this value) that you can use to replace the printer, or purchase just about anything.
They don't like to replace inks because a lot of people ruined it for everyone by scamming the system for free ink to replace depleted cartridges. If you seem to be getting nowhere with an under-trained front line agent, ask for a supervisor. If you still seem to be getting nowhere, ask for their supervisor (everyone answers to someone unless you wind up in corporate).
Maintain a pleasant demeanor throughout the process. You may have to do many seemingly useless tests before they authorize the replacement, but if you are lucky, you'll get a good front line agent that will authorize the ink replacement themselves and you won't even need to escalate.
!