30 inch monitor

astrellios

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
So i have been trying to decide on what 30 inch lcd moniter to get. i was going with a dell ultrasharp u3011 but i dont want to buy it if it is too bright. does anyone have any recommendations on a good lcd moniter with reasonable brightness. i have my computer desk right next to a window and the sun hits me right in the eyes so i always have the curtains closed. i have extremely light sensitive eyes. i have 1500 dollars max to spend on a moniter (i really want something in the 30 inch range) should i go with the dell u3011 or is there something someone else might suggest?

The U3011 does have a brightness control. Do you know how bright you consider to be too bright (quantitatively)? I have one, and I love it, and I find that it has plenty of brightness range, but it's hard to say if you'd like it without knowing how bright you find comfortable.

^5 +1 what cjl said.

I am going to purchase the Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30 inch monitor in two days. I've read quite a few technical reviews and can confirm what cjl said. The monitor definitely has a brightness control. In addition, you can further control brightness and other settings with the software that came with your video card. If this is for high end mainstream work such as professional photography, video editing, or graphics design, you can use a color calibration device to really fine tune the settings.

In several technical reviews it was noted that although the monitors are color calibrated at the factory, they are still too bright for professional work. That can easily be corrected by turning down the brightness to a very low level.

cjl - You have a private message. Didn't want to highjack this thread.

22curious

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

@astrellios,

...is no news good news? It's been, umm, a few days :~), and I am very interested in how your eye sockets are faring. I also have light (brightness) and flicker-sensitive eyes, and need to invest in a monitor soon. Looking for feedback and a clear yet not-too bright and not-flickering (with brightness at 0-20) monitor suitable for cgi and text work.

Best wishes

TRENDING THREADS