To THG Staff...

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Aloha to all.....

Well...I've read through all the recent threads about the AMD 64 3400+ and from what I understand, we need some explanation??

I hope no one starts flamming and get all worked up....THG IS GOING TO HELL and stuff like that....I just want a simple,clear and knowledgable clarification for the memory used with the AMD setup....

If none of the THG staff will respond....can someone on the site explain this....Crash for instance??

Reason is...I've always favored Intel over AMD for the past 6 years ..and probably still will...but this Athlon64 chip has really gotten my attention....

Any intelligent responses would be most appreciated!!!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Okay, I'll put it simply (to keep my self from getting mad at THG and all worked up again): A64 is heavily dependent on RAM timings. A64 was tested with slow RAM timings, dropping it's performance below what it is capable of (and what it should get). P4 is hardly dependent on RAM timings but still ran with very fast timings (giving it good, expected performance). Also, the RAM used in the P4 systems was of higher quality than that of the A64's system, whether or not that has a lot to do with anything, I don't know.

The A64 is the probably the best all-around processor right now (depending on what you use your computer for and your budget). Problem is that the motherboards and chipsets still haven't caught up to the processor. nVidia should release it's next chipset within reasonable time (not sure of the date, soonish though), which should be the leader of the pack. The name of the new chipset is: nForce3 250Pro. Right now I'd go for VIA.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

endyen

Splendid
Oh please! Most of this review was just cut and pasted from the old one. I am not even sure they turned a 3400+ on. Looks as though they just fudged some numbers so it would fit with the 3200+.