USB Mass Storage Device Oddity

Whenever I plug in my Sony USB Memory Stick, a small screen entitled
Autoplay comes up with a progress bar and flashlight looking for Styles.
This has just started happening. I chose "Take no action" under
Properties/Autoplay but it still happens.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:58:12 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Jack Gillis favored us with...
> Whenever I plug in my Sony USB Memory Stick, a small screen entitled
> Autoplay comes up with a progress bar and flashlight looking for Styles.
> This has just started happening. I chose "Take no action" under
> Properties/Autoplay but it still happens.

Just to be sure -- did you choose "Take no action" _and_ check the
little check box that makes this a permanent setting? If you haven't,
try it because it can't hurt. :)

That said, Windows seems to _really_ like Autoplay. I've used TweakUI
to turn it off for my USB drive; I've also selected every single one
of the types in the drop-down box and assigned "Take no action". Yet
still, when I connect the drive, I get that swinging flashlight and I
have to click Cancel on it, _and_ close the Explorer window that
opened up.

I've just written it off as one of those things I have to live with.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Stan Brown wrote:

> still, when I connect the drive, I get that swinging flashlight and I
> have to click Cancel on it, _and_ close the Explorer window that
> opened up.
>
> I've just written it off as one of those things I have to live with.

Exactly.

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.