Inspiron 4000 buzzing/whistling fron under keyboard

I think this problem has been discussed a lot on this list. This
buzzing sounds seems to be related to the video display. When I first
got my machine, the whining/buzzing sound was louder in Win98 than W2K
or Linux. In fact I only noticed it in linux (RH7.1) when I ran Win98
in VMware, then it was quite loud. It seems to be interference from
the video card. When I move a window around the screen it will go
away, but as soon as there is no activity the noise comes back.

Now I've just reloaded with RH9.0 and the noise is loud. This leads
me to believe it has something to do with the video drivers. It
should not be any quirk in my hardware because over the years I've
literally had every single part replaced at least once under the
warranty (save possibly a tiny bit of the plastic on the outside)
(good quality stuff!).

Has anyone found any solution to this annoying noise?

Thanks,

JJ
6 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 4000 buzzing whistling fron keyboard

    ACK! I have the same behaviour on my 4100. Any advice? I don't think it
    has something to do with the driver, but with the hardware design. I have
    a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 with 16M.
    --
    thx

    "martin mayer" <mama@inter.net> wrote in message news:<opr8i5l1nlfumbpw@news.online.de>...
    > ACK! I have the same behaviour on my 4100. Any advice? I don't think it
    > has something to do with the driver, but with the hardware design. I have
    > a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 with 16M.

    Maybe not the driver, but maybe the load on the card. The sound
    definitely fluctuates with a changing display (such as dragging a
    window). What I'd like to know is why the volume level went up from
    RH7.1 to RH9. I have an ATI 128 Mobility (8M). This doesn't appear
    to be hardware specific.

    JJ wrote:
    > "martin mayer" <mama@inter.net> wrote in message
    >> ACK! I have the same behaviour on my 4100. Any advice? I don't think
    >> it has something to do with the driver, but with the hardware
    >> design. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 with 16M.
    >
    > Maybe not the driver, but maybe the load on the card. The sound
    > definitely fluctuates with a changing display (such as dragging a
    > window). What I'd like to know is why the volume level went up from
    > RH7.1 to RH9. I have an ATI 128 Mobility (8M). This doesn't appear
    > to be hardware specific.

    If this is using the ATI software driver, it might be a mismatch or
    non-optimized setting for the vertical and horizontal sync. The card
    might be driven at an extreme for one of these settings. Check the
    configuration; experiment with small changes. Have you tried the ATI
    hardware driver (if it will work with your kernal and RH)?

    <buzhi@techemail.com> wrote:

    > Maybe not the driver, but maybe the load on the card. The sound
    > definitely fluctuates with a changing display (such as dragging a
    > window).

    Yes!

    > What I'd like to know is why the volume level went up from
    > RH7.1 to RH9.

    Which Volume Level do you mean?

    > I have an ATI 128 Mobility (8M). This doesn't appear
    > to be hardware specific.

    I think it has to do with the CPU load, too. Can anyone else confirm this
    behaviour?
    --
    thx

    Iv'e just had the same thing happen to me and then my screen started to
    flicker on and off. It is the connectors for the the screen, check the
    connector under the panel at the top of the keyboard also check the main LCD
    cables, it's a bit of a pain but you can take the bezels of and check the
    small ribbon cable at the top right corner (this seams to cause the some of
    the problems) as the back of the LCD is facing you (not the main cable).
    There is a catch that lifts up to release it (don't just pull) make sure
    it's seated properly.

    > JJ wrote:
    > > "martin mayer" <mama@inter.net> wrote in message
    > >> ACK! I have the same behaviour on my 4100. Any advice? I don't think
    > >> it has something to do with the driver, but with the hardware
    > >> design. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility M6 with 16M.
    > >
    > > Maybe not the driver, but maybe the load on the card. The sound
    > > definitely fluctuates with a changing display (such as dragging a
    > > window). What I'd like to know is why the volume level went up from
    > > RH7.1 to RH9. I have an ATI 128 Mobility (8M). This doesn't appear
    > > to be hardware specific.
    >
    > If this is using the ATI software driver, it might be a mismatch or
    > non-optimized setting for the vertical and horizontal sync. The card
    > might be driven at an extreme for one of these settings. Check the
    > configuration; experiment with small changes. Have you tried the ATI
    > hardware driver (if it will work with your kernal and RH)?

    I was just testing my new Multi-Band Portable Radio. FM was alright, so I
    switched to AM, where I heared a loud buzzing, but no radio stations,
    although the "tuned" LED was on. so I took the radio near the window. On
    the way I noticed, the further I go from my desk where my inspiron 4100
    is, the lower the buzzing became. At the window the bussing disappeared,
    and I could recieve some radio stations, but without a "tuned" signal. So
    I went back to my inspiron and the buzzing became louder. I put the radio
    on the keyboard, and the signal became very loud. It became at loudest in
    the middle of the keyboard above the pointig stick. The signal I heared
    was just the same as I hear from my inspiron, only louder.

    I started to scan the Medium wave, and I had the signal on allmost the
    whole MW spectrum. Here are the frequencies where the signal at its "best":

    573, 856, 980, 1150, 1456 KHz

    Now I turned on my old radio, which has an auto scan. I got the same
    behaviour. When I tune upwards it stayed tuned with the same signal on the
    following Frequencies:

    621, 730, 774, 891, 972, 1098, 1170, 1242, 1324, 1474, 1546

    And by scanning downwards:

    1512, 1476, 1411, 1342, 1270, 1215, 1161, 1060, 1098, 980, 909, 820, 774,
    730

    Any idea?
    --
    thx

    Just in case you are not following the thread anymore, I started a new
    thread with the subject: "Inspiron 4100 buzzing/ Radio station?" replies
    pls. to the new thread

Dell Computers