Although I veryfied many things, my XPSP2 PC still takes an abnormally long
time (about 5 minutes) to fully start up. It all starts up normal (even
fast) till the desktop view with all the icons, including some installed
program icons in the taskbar. It starts "braking" with the Norton
Viruscanner Upload which releases the network icons only after about 2
minutes. And strange enough, when I then hit the "My Computer" icon on my
desktop, I get it "opened", but it takes another 2 minutes before I get the
window filled up with my drives etc. I have 3 physical drives (20/80/200GB).
I already uninstalled the non system drives, I uninstalled the virusscanner,
reinstalled the network driver and even did a Repair Install of the XPSP2.
No change... Slow startup, but once done, everything is OK and fast.Could
USB (was OK before) cause trouble? Could using a slipstreamed SP2 Cdrom
cause this? I used to use original XP and updated through downloads.

Try opening system properties,advances,start-up recovery,settings,in the
"Default OS" you should read,microsoft windows xp home edition (or pro)
fast detect Fast detect being the last 2 words,if more exist,or another
line
exist,click edit,then delete the extra.Also,you wont see the edited text
till next
restart.If it still starts slow after,try downloading Boot_Vis utility,its
from
microsoft,however not available from them,try google.com/search

"Andre De Clercq" wrote:

> Although I veryfied many things, my XPSP2 PC still takes an abnormally long
> time (about 5 minutes) to fully start up. It all starts up normal (even
> fast) till the desktop view with all the icons, including some installed
> program icons in the taskbar. It starts "braking" with the Norton
> Viruscanner Upload which releases the network icons only after about 2
> minutes. And strange enough, when I then hit the "My Computer" icon on my
> desktop, I get it "opened", but it takes another 2 minutes before I get the
> window filled up with my drives etc. I have 3 physical drives (20/80/200GB).
> I already uninstalled the non system drives, I uninstalled the virusscanner,
> reinstalled the network driver and even did a Repair Install of the XPSP2.
> No change... Slow startup, but once done, everything is OK and fast.Could
> USB (was OK before) cause trouble? Could using a slipstreamed SP2 Cdrom
> cause this? I used to use original XP and updated through downloads.

Andrew, the first suggestion did not change the startup. Do you happen to
know where Boot_vis can be found? I get no useable results with a google
search. Thanks anyway