Restoring Previous Profiles ???

Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up a
home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
running Win2000Pro.

I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the profiles
back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?

Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel Spreadsheets
within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
Explorer directories, for some reason I
can't.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
3 answers Last reply
More about restoring previous profiles

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for your posting.

    I am not sure how the issue happened... But if you meant you have changed
    the default location of My Documents folder, please refer to the following
    KB article:

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

    If this is not your issue, could you please explain more about how this
    issue happened, and what the detailed symptoms are, and what operations you
    have performed?

    If you can find the files via Search, you should find the files' folder
    from the "In Folder" tab of the Search Results page. You may also
    right-click the file you found from Search Results and select "Open
    Containing Folder" to open the file via Windows Explorer.

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >Subject: Restoring Previous Profiles ???
    >Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT
    >
    >Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up
    >home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
    >running Win2000Pro.
    >
    >I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
    >etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the
    profiles
    >back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?
    >
    >Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel
    Spreadsheets
    >within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
    >files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
    >Explorer directories, for some reason I
    >can't.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help with this.

    Tom -

    Thanks for your reply.

    This situation arose when I was attempting to put 3 of computers on a home
    network; 2 desktop computers (WinXP-Home & WinXP Pro) & 1 laptop
    (Win2000Pro).

    The desktop running Win XP-Home is working fine w/ no problems at
    all. - - - The problem I described in my earlier post of the profile/user
    account changing occurred on the other 2 machines. I'll describe how each
    problem arose:

    "Desktop w/ WinXP-Pro" problem developed when I changed the network
    configuration from a Domain/Network, which I sometimes use at the office, to
    a local home "Workgroup" situation. After making the "network changes"
    to a local workgroup, the computer said it needed to re-boot to apply the
    changes. - - - Once it re-booted, It somehow puts my name in a new
    section/profile and does not seem to use or list the previous profile I was
    using. By profile, I mean all my Outlook Mail stuff, Documents, Favorites,
    etc... ; it's as though I'm a new user for the computer. I know all the
    documents that I'm missing are still on my hard drive. I'm just hoping
    there's an easy way to have that previous account/profile in use with my new
    "workgroup" configuration.

    "Laptop w/ Win2000Pro" problem also happened when I was trying to set up the
    new home workgroup. When I re-booted the computer for the changes to take
    effect, I was not able to get back into my computer. For some reason the
    password I had always used was not working with the username that I had also
    previously used. - - - So, I used a utility program to allow me to get back
    into my laptop. Here's the link to the utility:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ . That utility allowed me to get
    back into my laptop, but the resulting situation is the exact same as the
    problem I described above w/ my desktop computer. It seems I have a new
    account/profile and all my email, docs, etc.. are on the hard drive, but not
    available to me when I log-on. I'd like to be able to log-on to this
    computer and access all my docs, etc...

    I did read the link you provided on how to re-assign where the computer
    looks for "My Documents". I'm not sure if that's what I need to do in order
    to accomplish my goals as described above. Just let me know what you
    think is best & I'll follow your instructions. Thanks very much.

    Dave

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Thanks for your posting.
    >
    > I am not sure how the issue happened... But if you meant you have changed
    > the default location of My Documents folder, please refer to the following
    > KB article:
    >
    > How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147
    >
    > If this is not your issue, could you please explain more about how this
    > issue happened, and what the detailed symptoms are, and what operations
    > you
    > have performed?
    >
    > If you can find the files via Search, you should find the files' folder
    > from the "In Folder" tab of the Search Results page. You may also
    > right-click the file you found from Search Results and select "Open
    > Containing Folder" to open the file via Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Tom Che
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    >>From: "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >>Subject: Restoring Previous Profiles ???
    >>Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT
    >>
    >>Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up
    >>home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
    >>running Win2000Pro.
    >>
    >>I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
    >>etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the
    > profiles
    >>back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?
    >>
    >>Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel
    > Spreadsheets
    >>within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
    >>files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
    >>Explorer directories, for some reason I
    >>can't.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for your update.

    Now I understand the outline of this issue. But as you know, Windows XP
    and Windows 2000 are different, so I will reply here for your Desktop with
    Windows XP Professional, and you may open a new post for your Laptop with
    Windows 2000 issue on the following newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.win2000.general

    However, unfortunately, based on my lots of research, domain profile is
    unavailable for workgroup, so you cannot move the domain profile to
    workgroup directly.

    But for Windows XP Pro, if you can re-join original domain, you may try to
    use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard for a test and export some user
    settings and files (as a old computer), and then disjoin domain and import
    the settings and files via Files and Settings Transfer Wizard again (as a
    new computer). For more information, please refer to the following Web
    site:

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293118

    Furthermore, you may need to logon with administrator permission to view or
    check all the files or folders. If the folders and files are moved from
    another computer, you may need to take ownership. For more information,
    please see:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    ^JOCQ^RSNVLGTFTKHTXHHP[NB\_C@\SD@EP_[KCXX__AGDDEKGFNB\ZOKLRNCY_CGG[RHT_UN@C_
    >> BSY\G__IJIX_PLSA[CCFAULEY\FL\VLGANTQQ]FN
    >>>Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT

    wsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!news.maxwell.syr.edu!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodi

    gy.net!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!n
    >> ewssvr25.news.prodigy.net.POSTED!efe31f9c!not-for-mail
    >>>
    >>>Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up
    >>>home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
    >>>running Win2000Pro.
    >>>
    >>>I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
    >>>etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the
    >> profiles
    >>>back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?
    >>>
    >>>Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel
    >> Spreadsheets
    >>>within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
    >>>files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the
    Windows
    >>>Explorer directories, for some reason I
    >>>can't.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Windows XP