Restoring Previous Profiles ???

Tags:
  • Windows XP
September 8, 2005 1:52:20 AM

Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up a
home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
running Win2000Pro.

I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the profiles
back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?

Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel Spreadsheets
within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
Explorer directories, for some reason I
can't.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

More about : restoring previous profiles

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:18:20 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your posting.

I am not sure how the issue happened... But if you meant you have changed
the default location of My Documents folder, please refer to the following
KB article:

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

If this is not your issue, could you please explain more about how this
issue happened, and what the detailed symptoms are, and what operations you
have performed?

If you can find the files via Search, you should find the files' folder
from the "In Folder" tab of the Search Results page. You may also
right-click the file you found from Search Results and select "Open
Containing Folder" to open the file via Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>Subject: Restoring Previous Profiles ???
>Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT
>
>Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up
>home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
>running Win2000Pro.
>
>I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
>etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the
profiles
>back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?
>
>Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel
Spreadsheets
>within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
>files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
>Explorer directories, for some reason I
>can't.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:13:35 PM

Tom -

Thanks for your reply.

This situation arose when I was attempting to put 3 of computers on a home
network; 2 desktop computers (WinXP-Home & WinXP Pro) & 1 laptop
(Win2000Pro).

The desktop running Win XP-Home is working fine w/ no problems at
all. - - - The problem I described in my earlier post of the profile/user
account changing occurred on the other 2 machines. I'll describe how each
problem arose:

"Desktop w/ WinXP-Pro" problem developed when I changed the network
configuration from a Domain/Network, which I sometimes use at the office, to
a local home "Workgroup" situation. After making the "network changes"
to a local workgroup, the computer said it needed to re-boot to apply the
changes. - - - Once it re-booted, It somehow puts my name in a new
section/profile and does not seem to use or list the previous profile I was
using. By profile, I mean all my Outlook Mail stuff, Documents, Favorites,
etc... ; it's as though I'm a new user for the computer. I know all the
documents that I'm missing are still on my hard drive. I'm just hoping
there's an easy way to have that previous account/profile in use with my new
"workgroup" configuration.

"Laptop w/ Win2000Pro" problem also happened when I was trying to set up the
new home workgroup. When I re-booted the computer for the changes to take
effect, I was not able to get back into my computer. For some reason the
password I had always used was not working with the username that I had also
previously used. - - - So, I used a utility program to allow me to get back
into my laptop. Here's the link to the utility:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ . That utility allowed me to get
back into my laptop, but the resulting situation is the exact same as the
problem I described above w/ my desktop computer. It seems I have a new
account/profile and all my email, docs, etc.. are on the hard drive, but not
available to me when I log-on. I'd like to be able to log-on to this
computer and access all my docs, etc...

I did read the link you provided on how to re-assign where the computer
looks for "My Documents". I'm not sure if that's what I need to do in order
to accomplish my goals as described above. Just let me know what you
think is best & I'll follow your instructions. Thanks very much.

Dave

"Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for your posting.
>
> I am not sure how the issue happened... But if you meant you have changed
> the default location of My Documents folder, please refer to the following
> KB article:
>
> How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147
>
> If this is not your issue, could you please explain more about how this
> issue happened, and what the detailed symptoms are, and what operations
> you
> have performed?
>
> If you can find the files via Search, you should find the files' folder
> from the "In Folder" tab of the Search Results page. You may also
> right-click the file you found from Search Results and select "Open
> Containing Folder" to open the file via Windows Explorer.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Che
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.
>
> --------------------
>>From: "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com>
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>>Subject: Restoring Previous Profiles ???
>>Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT
>>
>>Hope someone can help w/ this. I lost 2 sets of profiles when setting up
>>home network. One machine was running Windows XP Pro and the other was
>>running Win2000Pro.
>>
>>I know the profiles and related files, ie, Word Docs, Outlook Express,
>>etc... are on the respective hard drives, but how can I re-set the
> profiles
>>back to them so that I can use all the Docs, settings, etc...?
>>
>>Also, I'm curious why I cannot actually see Word Docs & Excel
> Spreadsheets
>>within the actual directories/subdirectories of the Documents/Settings
>>files? If I do a search for files, I can see them; but in the Windows
>>Explorer directories, for some reason I
>>can't.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:51:50 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your update.

Now I understand the outline of this issue. But as you know, Windows XP
and Windows 2000 are different, so I will reply here for your Desktop with
Windows XP Professional, and you may open a new post for your Laptop with
Windows 2000 issue on the following newsgroup:

microsoft.public.win2000.general

However, unfortunately, based on my lots of research, domain profile is
unavailable for workgroup, so you cannot move the domain profile to
workgroup directly.

But for Windows XP Pro, if you can re-join original domain, you may try to
use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard for a test and export some user
settings and files (as a old computer), and then disjoin domain and import
the settings and files via Files and Settings Transfer Wizard again (as a
new computer). For more information, please refer to the following Web
site:

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293118

Furthermore, you may need to logon with administrator permission to view or
check all the files or folders. If the folders and files are moved from
another computer, you may need to take ownership. For more information,
please see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

^JOCQ^RSNVLGTFTKHTXHHP[NB\_C@\SD@EP_[KCXX__AGDDEKGFNB\ZOKLRNCY_CGG[RHT_UN@C_
>> BSY\G__IJIX_PLSA[CCFAULEY\FL\VLGANTQQ]FN
>>>Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:52:20 GMT

wsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!news.maxwell.syr.edu!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodi

gy.net!newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!n

!