My system isn't fast enough!

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I have a P4 2.4C OC to 3.0 which doesn't qualify as slow, to say the least, but when I open My Computer, or a folder from Run it doesn't come up instantly but it takes it a fraction of a second. How hard can it be for Internet Explorer or MSPaint to show up the moment I click Enter?

I know this isn't the system 'cause my last format was just a month ago and I'm not sure if it's M$'s this-is-a-stable-OS-WinXP 'cause if I recall it's been like this in all windows systems.

Notepad opens-up just right but that's no surprise, it's like 1KB or something (though it too manages to eat-up 2.8MB of precious RAM). When I browse through sites I also feel that it's not Internet ping that's to blame for the lag - What gives?

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
My Athlon XP 2600+ is tooooo slow as well, it takes 30min to complete WindowsXP installation, while my Old Celeron needs only 30min to complete Windows98SE installation!!! I thought 2600+ should be much faster for Windows Installation, how can my 2600+ be so slow??

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Well if you want performance go buy an Athlon FX-51 and hook it up with some extreme cooling like prometeria! :)

Back to the question did you install the latest chipset drivers? (arent they called Intel Application Accelerator for Intel Chipsets)

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
now your talking.......... new OS will have new Instal Feature... install in 10-15 minutes.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get hords of RAM, then if it's still too slow you'll get more sympathy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Then u oc ur hdd.
That's another thing I'm afraid of doing. A friend's brother got a hold of some older HDDs that were worth nothing and OCed them a good 75%. Then they flew out of the housing.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I know exactly what you say! I always time my installation and my record was 19 minutes with a P4 1.9 Northwood and 256MB RDRAM, now I have a P4 2.4 OC to 3.0 with 512MB of DDR400 and I can't get it to finish in less than 25 mins, why's that?

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I installed Longhorne, it said it would take like 25 minutes and it took something like that, as opposed to WinXP which says something like 50 minutes and takes 25...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Then u oc ur hdd.
I didn't know you can do that, do you need some kind of software for it or is it a hard mod?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
dumbass

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Buy one of those PCI cards which takes like 8 sticks of old PC133 SDRAM and functions as a HDD. stick a couple of Gb of RAM on it and install your OS on that instead :smile: That should speed things up...

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I didn't find out the nitty-gritty details in fear of wanting to do it myself, but I know he gave the motor more power and did some software changes in/through Linux and a third thing (hardware related) that I forget (they were 4200RPM drives that he made spin at 7200RPM).

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I thought you were joking! Seems like a lot of effort to make a comparatively small HDD work a little faster, considering how much you could buy a newer, larger, faster one for.

Not a bad achievement though I guess.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
He got them for free and didn't give a crap about them...something or another was unrepairable about them. They worked at that RPM for about 20 minutes then one platter shot out of one drive and the other's motor fried. I'd suspect the first one probably could have laster longer (maybe an extra 10 minutes, judging by the other one's shoddy motor [at those RPM, at least]) if he reduced the vibration (not that the drive was particularly usable anyway).

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds like a good way of getting away with murder... They turn on their computer, sit down, and minutes later a HDD platter flies out and slices their head off... :smile:

---

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Heh, heh, heh...like to hear the court's ruling on that. JW, could the HDD company be sued for their product, though misused, decapitating somebody?