Anybody pop-ing from gmail with versamail?

November 26, 2004 2:25:42 PM

I'm trying to use the new pop feature on gmail and pop *unread messages
only* from my gmail using versamail (verson 2.61) on my T3. It seems to
pretty much be working...except for the "unread only" part. It always
seems to want to download every message since the last time I downloaded
messages, rather than just what's unread on gmail.

Am I just using an incorrect interpretation of "unread", or should it be
working, and I'm just doing something wrong? I don't want my palm to be
my main email client, I just want to be able to use it to read new gmail
while I'm on the bus away from a connected computer with a full-featured
browser that can run gmail. Since this happens only a couple times a
week, there are often several hundred "new" email on gmail that I've
already read. I'd prefer it if versamail didn't try to download them
all every time.

Any ideas? I thought to try testing the "unread only" feature from
other pop clients (to see if maybe it's an issue with gmail), but the
only ones I have are outlook express and thunderbird, neither of which
seem to have a checkbox for "download unread mail only", like versamail
does.

-Sandy
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:31:38 AM

Sandy Cronin <b5@tomandsandycronin.com> writes:

> I'm trying to use the new pop feature on gmail and pop *unread
> messages only* from my gmail using versamail (verson 2.61) on my T3.
> It seems to pretty much be working...except for the "unread only"
> part. It always seems to want to download every message since the
> last time I downloaded messages, rather than just what's unread on
> gmail.

Have you set gmail's POP Download setting to "Enable POP only for mail that
arrives from now on" or "...for all mail", and what's the setting
for "When messages accessed with POP [something]?" Those might have an effect.
Also, are you deleting the old mails from your Palm entirely or just moving them
to trash?

I set up Versamail with my gmail account a while ago to use while travelling,
but since I've only been home I haven't really tested it. With setting 1
set to "for mail that arrives from now on" and setting 2 set to "archive
Gmail's copy", I'm not seeing duplicates. Whether mails are deleted from
the Palm or just moved to Trash seemed to have an effect in testing with
another mail server (with IMAP).

Versamail's support for anything but the most plain vanilla POP/IMAP/SMTP
servers is rather underwhelming, when I tried to use it with my usual
IMAP server it was mostly broken. Certainly, the only thing recommending
Versamail to me is that it came bundled with my Zire 72.

-v
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:31:39 AM

Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:

> Have you set gmail's POP Download setting to "Enable POP only for mail that
> arrives from now on" or "...for all mail", and what's the setting
> for "When messages accessed with POP [something]?" Those might have an effect.
> Also, are you deleting the old mails from your Palm entirely or just moving them
> to trash?

Hmm...I think I described the problem badly. It's not downloading
things to my palm more than once, it's just that it's downloading things
that are marked as already read on gmail, whether "download only unread
mail messages" is checked in versamail or not.

My gmail setting says "enabled for messages that have arrived since
11/7/04" (which is when I got pop enabled on my account and set up
versamail the first time). The only other option are to rest it to
"now" or disable pop completely.

For now, I've just been trashing the messages, haven't removed them from
the trash in versamail.

> Versamail's support for anything but the most plain vanilla POP/IMAP/SMTP
> servers is rather underwhelming, when I tried to use it with my usual
> IMAP server it was mostly broken. Certainly, the only thing recommending
> Versamail to me is that it came bundled with my Zire 72.

Is there a better one that can handle the security gmail requires?

-Sandy
November 27, 2004 5:52:58 AM

Sandy Cronin <b5@tomandsandycronin.com> writes:

> Hmm...I think I described the problem badly. It's not downloading
> things to my palm more than once, it's just that it's downloading
> things that are marked as already read on gmail, whether "download
> only unread mail messages" is checked in versamail or not.
>
> My gmail setting says "enabled for messages that have arrived since
> 11/7/04" (which is when I got pop enabled on my account and set up
> versamail the first time). The only other option are to rest it to
> "now" or disable pop completely.

Odd, when I just looked, it showed me today's date there even though I
enabled POP a while ago. Anyway, since there's not much configuration
left to tweak, there doesn't unfortunately seem to be a
straightforward way to fix the problem; except perhaps to move mail
to the archive when you're done reading them in gmail?

Since gmail is still being developed, perhaps they might look into
supporting Versamail officially if someone suggests it. But even in
the best case, that'd take a while.

>> Versamail's support for anything but the most plain vanilla POP/IMAP/SMTP
>> servers is rather underwhelming, when I tried to use it with my usual
[...]
> Is there a better one that can handle the security gmail requires?

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to trying any alternatives myself
yet. At least Mark/Space Mail and SnapperMail claim to support SSL and
SMTP authentication and have free trials. Someone else here probably
knows a lot more about the available mail client options than me (-:

-v
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:56:01 PM

Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:
> Sandy Cronin <b5@tomandsandycronin.com> writes:
>
> > Hmm...I think I described the problem badly. It's not downloading
> > things to my palm more than once, it's just that it's downloading
> > things that are marked as already read on gmail, whether "download
> > only unread mail messages" is checked in versamail or not.
> >
> > My gmail setting says "enabled for messages that have arrived since
> > 11/7/04" (which is when I got pop enabled on my account and set up
> > versamail the first time). The only other option are to rest it to
> > "now" or disable pop completely.
>
> Odd, when I just looked, it showed me today's date there even though
> enabled POP a while ago. Anyway, since there's not much configuration
> left to tweak, there doesn't unfortunately seem to be a
> straightforward way to fix the problem; except perhaps to move mail
> to the archive when you're done reading them in gmail?
>
> Since gmail is still being developed, perhaps they might look into
> supporting Versamail officially if someone suggests it. But even in
> the best case, that'd take a while.
>
> >> Versamail's support for anything but the most plain vanilla
POP/IMAP/SMTP
> >> servers is rather underwhelming, when I tried to use it with my
usual
> [...]
> >
> > Is there a better one that can handle the security gmail requires?
>
> Sorry, I haven't gotten around to trying any alternatives myself
> yet. At least Mark/Space Mail and SnapperMail claim to support SSL
and
> SMTP authentication and have free trials. Someone else here probably
> knows a lot more about the available mail client options than me (-:
>
> -v
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:21:31 AM

On or about depending on the hamsters 27 Dec 2004 09:56:01 -0800,
<almogolan@gmail.com> permuted the language to say:

> Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:
>> Sandy Cronin <b5@tomandsandycronin.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hmm...I think I described the problem badly. It's not downloading
>> > things to my palm more than once, it's just that it's downloading
>> > things that are marked as already read on gmail, whether "download
>> > only unread mail messages" is checked in versamail or not.
>> >
>> > My gmail setting says "enabled for messages that have arrived since
>> > 11/7/04" (which is when I got pop enabled on my account and set up
>> > versamail the first time). The only other option are to rest it to
>> > "now" or disable pop completely.
>>
>> Odd, when I just looked, it showed me today's date there even though
>> enabled POP a while ago. Anyway, since there's not much configuration
>> left to tweak, there doesn't unfortunately seem to be a
>> straightforward way to fix the problem; except perhaps to move mail
>> to the archive when you're done reading them in gmail?
>>
>> Since gmail is still being developed, perhaps they might look into
>> supporting Versamail officially if someone suggests it. But even in
>> the best case, that'd take a while.

> POP/IMAP/SMTP
> usual
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Is there a better one that can handle the security gmail requires?
>>
>> Sorry, I haven't gotten around to trying any alternatives myself
>> yet. At least Mark/Space Mail and SnapperMail claim to support SSL
> and
>> SMTP authentication and have free trials. Someone else here probably
>> knows a lot more about the available mail client options than me (-:
>>
>> -v

I don't use gmail, but I have just switched to Snappermail 'Executive'.
Costs an outrageous amount but it has excellent IMAP controls, and
supports SSL in both directions (Versamail only supports it incoming,
which is hopeless for any real use of it).

--
Words
http://www.permuted.org.uk

December 28, 2004 1:21:32 AM

Words wrote:
> On or about depending on the hamsters 27 Dec 2004 09:56:01 -0800,
> <almogolan@gmail.com> permuted the language to say:
>

>> Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:

>>> Odd, when I just looked, it showed me today's date there even though

>>> enabled POP a while ago. Anyway, since there's not much configuration
>>> left to tweak, there doesn't unfortunately seem to be a
>>> straightforward way to fix the problem; except perhaps to move mail
>>> to the archive when you're done reading them in gmail?
>>>
>>> Since gmail is still being developed, perhaps they might look into
>>> supporting Versamail officially if someone suggests it. But even in
>>> the best case, that'd take a while.

>> POP/IMAP/SMTP

>> usual
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Sorry, I haven't gotten around to trying any alternatives myself
>>> yet. At least Mark/Space Mail and SnapperMail claim to support SSL
>>
>> and
>>
>>> SMTP authentication and have free trials. Someone else here probably
>>> knows a lot more about the available mail client options than me (-:
>>>
>>> -v
>>

> I don't use gmail, but I have just switched to Snappermail 'Executive'.
> Costs an outrageous amount but it has excellent IMAP controls, and
> supports SSL in both directions (Versamail only supports it incoming,
> which is hopeless for any real use of it).

Gmail requires SSL and POP. Snappermail fills the bill nicely.

--
George Fragos