Help! We cant get a PC to connect to domain... :(

Hi

Stupid question I know, but does anyone know how to log on to a
WindowsXP domain?!

We are have upgraded a PC from WindowsXP Home to WindowsXP Pro. The
client PC was loggin on as a workgroup.

Even we go to Control Panel > system> Network Identification >
Properties and then click member of DOMAIN: ...We still can't get it
to work. The domain is set up okay and other computers in the network
can see and use it. And this client PC can surf the Net even.

But we cant get the client PC to be accepted on to the domain.

What do we need to have set up on the Server?

Suppose the domain is called "mydomain", should we call it
"mydomain.dom" or just "mydomain".

What about the user's rights as opposed to the PC's rights?
Do we need both to be correct before the client can log on to the
domain?!

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S. There is currently no control/alt/delete screen at boot up either
- how do we get that entry screen to happen?!.

Make sure the DNS on the workstation is pointing ONLY to the domain
controller.

If this still doesn't work, post the exact error message you're getting.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Stupid question I know, but does anyone know how to log on to a
> WindowsXP domain?!

You can't, for the simple reason that there is no such thing as a
"WindowsXP domain."

> We are have upgraded a PC from WindowsXP Home to WindowsXP Pro. The
> client PC was loggin on as a workgroup.
>

> Even we go to Control Panel > system> Network Identification >
> Properties and then click member of DOMAIN: ...We still can't get it
> to work. The domain is set up okay and other computers in the network
> can see and use it. And this client PC can surf the Net even.

Has the domain administrator created a computer account on the domain
for the "new" computer, and has he granted you permissions to add
computers to his domain?

> But we cant get the client PC to be accepted on to the domain.
>
> What do we need to have set up on the Server?

Only your network administrator will know the answer to this question;
we know nothing about the specifics of your network.

> Suppose the domain is called "mydomain", should we call it
> "mydomain.dom" or just "mydomain".

Again, ask your network administrator.

> What about the user's rights as opposed to the PC's rights?
> Do we need both to be correct before the client can log on to the
> domain?!

Certainly, both sets of credentials need to be correct. It wouldn't be
much of a domain without at least the most basic of security protocols
in place.

> P.S. There is currently no control/alt/delete screen at boot up either
> - how do we get that entry screen to happen?!.

Either add the computer to the domain, or use the Control Panel to
change the way users log on and off.

Isn't there someone from your IT department available to help your with
all of this? The problems you're having are extremely elementary to
anyone at all familiar with managing a network and supporting
workstations, but they don't involve the sort of knowledge regular
computer users would have any need to learn.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm