Dell, 64 bit Intel processor, and AMD article

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.theregister.com/content/28/34777.html" target="_new">Dell clicky (dicky)</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
mmm. we might see a AMD64 dell pc in the future.

<b>MY RIG</b>
<font color=purple> INTEL P4 2.0GHZ | NVIDIA GEFORCEFX 5200 64MB | 256MB DDR266 SDRAM | INT. AUDIO | SEAGATE 7200.7 40GB HDD | LG 15" CRT | WIN98SE</font color=purple>

endyen

Splendid
Probably not. The logic of the reporter evades me. More likely to see Dell buy the pc division of big blue. Really though Steve might have to find a new Jobs.

What a horrible thought. A Dellmac with a n o s x teen in every bedroom.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 01/09/04 03:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
The register is not a reliable source. I highly doubt Dell will sell AMD processors no matter what happens with Windows 64-bit.

32-bit is still very much alive at the moment, and there are ways around 32-bit processor memory access limitations such as page filing, and Windows XP successor " longhorn" is on the way for 32-bit world.

motiv

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
there's a world of difference between 64bit memory addressing and a 64bit CPU.

On the whole it's better to have many internal registers be 64bit (especially if they are used as memory pointers).

Prescott could in theory have 64bit addressing of memory and access this via 2/32 bit registers.

Then again, it's been a long time since I programmed in that low a level.

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Not enought volume, AMD just couldnt keep up the needs of Dell.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
<i>The register is not a reliable source.</i>

I've read The Register for some time... sure, they are sometimes quick to publish their articles and they like to publish articles on circulating rumors, but I've never seen them blatently publish something that was false. Take it for what it's worth... something is brewing at Intel, and Dell is not married to Intel for 64-bit computing.

The question is.. when will there be enough software out there to make a substantial demand for 64-bit computing in a Windows environment? Only then might Dell start selling AMD processors.

Microsoft <i>really</i> screwed AMD when they pushed back their 64-bit OS. I think they pushed it back another 9 months from it's scheduled release date.. which gives AMD 9 months less of a head start over Intel.

Sun, however, has really embraced AMD's new processors.

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I believe the slated date for Longhorn is 2005, but I bet it won't be out until at <i>least</i> 2006. I've read all kinds of things that make me believe it will be delayed further.

There is a 64-bit version of XP and a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003. I don't believe any of these are retail yet, but you can already download them if you are an MSDN subscriber... question is... What do you do with them after they have been installed?!?!?!?

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
What does it take to be a MSDN subscriber? I did here the same about Longhorn. 2006

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
<A HREF="http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/pricing/default.asp" target="_new">http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/pricing/default.asp</A>