Dual boot win 7 nd xp

karabo101

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
hi guys, i need help with dual booting windows xp and windows 7.Am using lenovo 3000 G530 notebook which came with windows 7 pre installed. It was partitioned already into two partitions "C " and "D".When i first tried to install a windows xp side to side win 7, i got blue screen of dirth, i then changed sata settings to ide, that is when i managed to install my xp.Nw after successfully installing windows xp,i rebooted hoping to get a screen where i will have to choose between os,I do not get that option instead it goes straight to xp.I checkd the two partions for system files they are both there (win7 and xp)I am stuck with xp only now i need help on how to get that option where i choose between os

jenjenx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have to agree with treefrog on this one, EasyBCD makes Win7/XP dual booting a lot easier. The 1.7.2 version linked should probably do it but if you aren't too worried about using beta versions there's a 2.0 version that supports Windows 7 (although Vista's files are most likely similar enough to work). Once you've installed the program go to add/remove entries, make the name whatever you'd like XP to show up as in the dual boot menu, under type put NT/2k/XP/2k3. It should automatically determine which partition XP is on, click add entry and save (this is assuming XP isn't already listed there, obviously XP and 7 should only be listed once each). When you're done with that go to Manage Bootloader, make sure Reinstall the Windows Vista/7 bootloader is checked off and click Write MBR. Restart and you should have the option of which OS you'd like to boot into. However take too long and it will choose the default OS. EasyBCD sets the default to Windows 7 after 30 seconds. You can change this with the Change Settings menu if you want. :)

karabo101

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
hi, jen i did install easy bcd nd followed ur instructions,i got the screen for options but now when i try to log into win 7 i get blue screen of death,whats the problem nd solution? could it be becoz i changed sata settings to ide mode or what? I was about to get excited now i down (sad) again