Dell Question

A friend's Dell Dimension 8300 desktop has a 36 megabyte hidden FAT
partiion on it.

What is it, and how can we "get inside" it to look around and possibly
copy things out of it?

The system is running WinXP Home, the original factory install, which we
may end up "blowing away" and starting over with a generic installation.

|A friend's Dell Dimension 8300 desktop has a 36 megabyte hidden FAT
| partiion on it.
|
| What is it, and how can we "get inside" it to look around and possibly
| copy things out of it?
|
| The system is running WinXP Home, the original factory install, which we
| may end up "blowing away" and starting over with a generic installation.

It contains hardware diagnostic utilities which may be accessed by pressing
f12 during boot. (the utilities not the partition)

The same utilities are available on one of the CDs the system shipped with
titled "Drivers and Utilities."

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

>A friend's Dell Dimension 8300 desktop has a 36 megabyte hidden FAT
>partiion on it.
>
> What is it, and how can we "get inside" it to look around and possibly
> copy things out of it?
>
> The system is running WinXP Home, the original factory install, which we
> may end up "blowing away" and starting over with a generic installation.

Should be the Dell diags. partition. Try pressing F12 at the Dell splash
and select it from the boot menu...

Stew