passwords on documents

Can I put a password on specific documents i.e word or publisher, so that
when others use my computer they cannot read them? I know that I can 'hide'
them but someone could still access them! I am writing a book you see!
--
Emily

Yes.
In Word 2003, try Tools-Options-Security.
If you have a prior version and it is in a different place, then
consult the Help in Word and search for "password"

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

wrote:

>Can I put a password on specific documents i.e word or publisher, so that
>when others use my computer they cannot read them? I know that I can 'hide'
>them but someone could still access them! I am writing a book you see!

You are asking in the wrong place. Ask in a group with WORD,
PUBLISHER, or MSOFFICE in the title. Notice this group lacks those
words.

You can password protect MS Word documents if you have Word 2002 or higher.
Go to Tools - Options - Security

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:47:01 -0700, "Emily" <emilyproctor@wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
>>Can I put a password on specific documents i.e word or publisher, so that
>>when others use my computer they cannot read them? I know that I can
>>'hide'
>>them but someone could still access them! I am writing a book you see!
>
> You are asking in the wrong place. Ask in a group with WORD,
> PUBLISHER, or MSOFFICE in the title. Notice this group lacks those
> words.

FWIW, my copy of Word 2000 offers the facility as well.

I thought Office 97 had it but I don't have that installed anywhere
and my memory could be faulty, though this seems to confirm it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156843

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:51:29 -0700, "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>You can password protect MS Word documents if you have Word 2002 or higher.
>Go to Tools - Options - Security
>
>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:47:01 -0700, "Emily" <emilyproctor@wanadoo.fr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Can I put a password on specific documents i.e word or publisher, so that
>>>when others use my computer they cannot read them? I know that I can
>>>'hide'
>>>them but someone could still access them! I am writing a book you see!
>>
>> You are asking in the wrong place. Ask in a group with WORD,
>> PUBLISHER, or MSOFFICE in the title. Notice this group lacks those
>> words.

You can password protect MS Word documents if you have Word 2002 or higher

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
Click Tools, and then click General Options.
Do one or both of the following:
If you want reviewers to enter a password before they can view the document, type a password in the Password to open box.
If you want reviewers to enter a password before they can save changes to the document, type a password