My computer is only about 4 months old and I do not have it set to receive
automatic updates. It seemed, with my last computer, the updates created
more problems than they were worth. Does anyone have an opinion on how
important it is to get these updates or am I just as well off not receiving
them? The last time I checked to see what updates were available it appeared
Microsoft even said that some of them could create problems.

I get the critical updates, without them you may be vulnerable to security
threats that seem to be well documented.
I don't believe MS goes to the time/trouble/expense of putting out updates
for fun.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"gr8aunt" <gr8aunt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is only about 4 months old and I do not have it set to receive
> automatic updates. It seemed, with my last computer, the updates created
> more problems than they were worth. Does anyone have an opinion on how
> important it is to get these updates or am I just as well off not
> receiving
> them? The last time I checked to see what updates were available it
> appeared
> Microsoft even said that some of them could create problems.

I have my machine set to notify me, but not download. Turning off your
anti-virus before you download an update will give you a better chance of a
clean install. But as NotMe said, I would definitely get any critical
updates. The others you can pick and choose. I have quite a few hidden,
because the don't apply to my machine.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

gr8aunt wrote:
> My computer is only about 4 months old and I do not have it set to receive
> automatic updates. It seemed, with my last computer, the updates created
> more problems than they were worth. Does anyone have an opinion on how
> important it is to get these updates or am I just as well off not receiving
> them? The last time I checked to see what updates were available it appeared
> Microsoft even said that some of them could create problems.

I really don't like to see people use the Automatic Updates, unless
they take precautions to ensure that no patches get installed without
the user's express permission, given only after he/she has researched
each individual patch to ensure that it applies and is necessary. Due
to the nearly infinite number of possible combinations of hardware,
device drivers, and applications on any given PC, it's impossible to
guarantee that all patches will be 100% harmless. In a very small
number of cases, patches and hotfixes can cause conflicts or other
problems. So, as with all changes to an OS, caution is advised.

All "Critical" updates should be installed. These address serious
issues that can affect a large number of computers. There will be
only rare occasions when a Critical update will not apply. Of special
importance are those that address security vulnerabilities. If people
had installed the available critical updates in July, the Blaster and
Welchia worms would not have spread throughout the Internet the
following month. In the unlikely event that problems do develop, you
can always use the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet or a
System Restore Point to uninstall the troublesome hotfix.

For the "Recommended" updates, simply study the information
provided to see if these updates apply in your specific situation. If
they don't apply, or you're not experiencing the problem(s) addressed,
you needn't install them. For instance, I have no use for WinXP's
MovieMaker, so I ignore any updates to it. Again, in the unlikely
event that problems do develop, you can always use the Control Panel's
Add/Remove Programs applet or a System Restore Point to uninstall the
troublesome hotfix.

In general, though, I've found it best not to download the
"Driver" updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware
device originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided
by each component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform
better and offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic"
drivers that those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution
via Windows Update.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

gr8aunt wrote:
> My computer is only about 4 months old and I do not have it set to receive
> automatic updates. It seemed, with my last computer, the updates created
> more problems than they were worth. Does anyone have an opinion on how
> important it is to get these updates or am I just as well off not
> receiving them? The last time I checked to see what updates were
> available it appeared Microsoft even said that some of them could create
> problems.

Bruce,

Isn't "nearly infinite" as big as "infinite"? :)

> gr8aunt wrote:
>> My computer is only about 4 months old and I do not have it set to
>> receive automatic updates. It seemed, with my last computer, the updates
>> created more problems than they were worth. Does anyone have an opinion
>> on how important it is to get these updates or am I just as well off not
>> receiving them? The last time I checked to see what updates were
>> available it appeared Microsoft even said that some of them could create
>> problems.
>

> I really don't like to see people use the Automatic Updates, unless
> they take precautions to ensure that no patches get installed without the
> user's express permission, given only after he/she has researched each
> individual patch to ensure that it applies and is necessary. Due to the
> nearly infinite number of possible combinations of hardware, device
> drivers, and applications on any given PC, it's impossible to guarantee
> that all patches will be 100% harmless. In a very small number of cases,
> patches and hotfixes can cause conflicts or other problems. So, as with
> all changes to an OS, caution is advised.
>
> All "Critical" updates should be installed. These address serious
> issues that can affect a large number of computers. There will be
> only rare occasions when a Critical update will not apply. Of special
> importance are those that address security vulnerabilities. If people
> had installed the available critical updates in July, the Blaster and
> Welchia worms would not have spread throughout the Internet the
> following month. In the unlikely event that problems do develop, you
> can always use the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet or a
> System Restore Point to uninstall the troublesome hotfix.
>
> For the "Recommended" updates, simply study the information
> provided to see if these updates apply in your specific situation. If
> they don't apply, or you're not experiencing the problem(s) addressed,
> you needn't install them. For instance, I have no use for WinXP's
> MovieMaker, so I ignore any updates to it. Again, in the unlikely
> event that problems do develop, you can always use the Control Panel's
> Add/Remove Programs applet or a System Restore Point to uninstall the
> troublesome hotfix.
>
> In general, though, I've found it best not to download the
> "Driver" updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware
> device originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided
> by each component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform
> better and offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic"
> drivers that those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution
> via Windows Update.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Generally you should install all Critical Updates.
Evaluate Recommended Updates and determine if you need them.
Generally only get drivers directly from the hardware manufacturer and not
from Windows Update.
There are options from Notify before installing or downloading as well as
Automatic:
Right Click My Computer
Click Properties
Click Automatic Update tab.

Most problems concerning update installations are prevented on a computer
free from viruses, spyware and other malware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar