ATA bus speed for Dell OptiPlex GX1 series

I recently purchased a couple of nice Dell OptiPlex GX1 series desktops on
eBay to clean up and give to family for email and web surfing. I want to do
a few upgrades to increase their performance prior to handing them out. One
of the things I would like to do is upgrade the hard drives so that they
will perform quicker.

Both systems habe OptiPlex GX1 series badges. One is a P3-500 and the other
is a P2-400.
The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
shows is an ATA-33 drive.
The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research shows
is an ATA-66 drive.

Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead of
the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.

Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives coming
in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would like to
know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.

Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this for
me?

Thanks in advance!
Keith

The OptiPlex GX1 series of computers use either an Intel 440BX (older) or an
Intel 815 (newer) chipset, depending on the vintage. Either one will accept an
ATA-100 drive, but I'm dead certain that the 440BX chipset boards will not run
the drives at ATA-100 speeds, even with the newer 80-pin ATA cable. I'm not as
sure about the 815 chipset, but I doubt that it, too, will run at ATA-100.
Probably ATA-66 max.

Both the 400 and the 500MHz machines very likely use the 440BX chipset. You can
go to the Dell web site and put in their service tags to get some further info,
altho not in the clearest format. Better still, if these computers are running
Windows, the Device Manager in the System icon of Control Panel will tell you
which chipset according to the device drivers used.

Your best shot at getting full performance out of the drives is to use a 3rd
party ATA-100 disk controller, such as Promise (market leader) or SIIG. Even
then, the relatively slow speed of the processor may slow down disk accesses.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:59:49 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:

>I recently purchased a couple of nice Dell OptiPlex GX1 series desktops on
>eBay to clean up and give to family for email and web surfing. I want to do
>a few upgrades to increase their performance prior to handing them out. One
>of the things I would like to do is upgrade the hard drives so that they
>will perform quicker.
>
>Both systems habe OptiPlex GX1 series badges. One is a P3-500 and the other
>is a P2-400.
>The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
>shows is an ATA-33 drive.
>The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research shows
>is an ATA-66 drive.
>
>Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead of
>the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.
>
>Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
>ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives coming
>in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would like to
>know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.
>
>Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this for
>me?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Keith

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

No.

> The OptiPlex GX1 series of computers use either an Intel 440BX (older) or
an
> Intel 815 (newer) chipset, depending on the vintage. Either one will
accept an
> ATA-100 drive, but I'm dead certain that the 440BX chipset boards will not
run
> the drives at ATA-100 speeds, even with the newer 80-pin ATA cable. I'm
not as
> sure about the 815 chipset, but I doubt that it, too, will run at ATA-100.
> Probably ATA-66 max.
>
> Both the 400 and the 500MHz machines very likely use the 440BX chipset.
You can
> go to the Dell web site and put in their service tags to get some further
info,
> altho not in the clearest format. Better still, if these computers are
running
> Windows, the Device Manager in the System icon of Control Panel will tell
you
> which chipset according to the device drivers used.
>
> Your best shot at getting full performance out of the drives is to use a
3rd
> party ATA-100 disk controller, such as Promise (market leader) or SIIG.
Even
> then, the relatively slow speed of the processor may slow down disk
accesses.

> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:59:49 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently purchased a couple of nice Dell OptiPlex GX1 series desktops
on
> >eBay to clean up and give to family for email and web surfing. I want to
do
> >a few upgrades to increase their performance prior to handing them out.
One
> >of the things I would like to do is upgrade the hard drives so that they
> >will perform quicker.
> >
> >Both systems habe OptiPlex GX1 series badges. One is a P3-500 and the
other
> >is a P2-400.
> >The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
> >shows is an ATA-33 drive.
> >The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research
shows
> >is an ATA-66 drive.
> >
> >Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead of
> >the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.
> >
> >Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
> >ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives
coming
> >in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would like
> >know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.
> >
> >Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this for
> >me?
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >Keith

No? Then what? ... Ben

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:03:18 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> wrote:

> [...]
>other
>> >is a P2-400.
>> >The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
>> >shows is an ATA-33 drive.
>> >The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research
>shows
>> >is an ATA-66 drive.
>> >
>> >Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead of
>> >the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.
>> >
>> >Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
>> >ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives
>coming
>> >in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would like
>> >know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.
>> >
>> >Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this for

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Since these use ATA-33 mobos, it is a "No" ;) ....

> No? Then what? ... Ben
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:03:18 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net>
wrote:

> >No.
> >
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> The OptiPlex GX1 series of computers use either an Intel 440BX (older)
or
> >an
> >> Intel 815 (newer) chipset, depending on the vintage. Either one will
> >accept an
> >> ATA-100 drive, but I'm dead certain that the 440BX chipset boards will
not
> >run
> >> the drives at ATA-100 speeds, even with the newer 80-pin ATA cable.
I'm
> >not as
> >> sure about the 815 chipset, but I doubt that it, too, will run at
ATA-100.
> >> Probably ATA-66 max.
> >>
> >> Both the 400 and the 500MHz machines very likely use the 440BX chipset.
> >You can
> >> go to the Dell web site and put in their service tags to get some
further
> >info,
> >> altho not in the clearest format. Better still, if these computers are
> >running
> >> Windows, the Device Manager in the System icon of Control Panel will
tell
> >you
> >> which chipset according to the device drivers used.
> >>
> >> Your best shot at getting full performance out of the drives is to use
> >3rd
> >> party ATA-100 disk controller, such as Promise (market leader) or SIIG.
> >Even
> >> then, the relatively slow speed of the processor may slow down disk
> >accesses.
> >>
> >> ... Ben Myers

> >on
> >do
> >One

> >other
> >shows

> >coming

No, what? They won't accept an ATA-100 drive? Horsefeathers! The only
possibility as to why an ATA-100 drive won't be accepted is that the drive
capacity exceeds the limit supported by the motherboard BIOS.

An ATA-100 drive in an ATA-33 max system will simply run with ATA-33 command set
and speeds.

Try being more verbose. People cannot read your mind... Ben Myers

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:46:01 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> wrote:

>Since these use ATA-33 mobos, it is a "No" ;) ....

>> No? Then what? ... Ben
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:03:18 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net>
>wrote:
>>
>> >No.
>> >
>> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>or
>> >an
>> >accept an
>not
>> >run
>I'm
>> >not as
>ATA-100.

>> >You can
>further
>> >info,
>> >running
>tell
>> >you

>> >3rd
>> >Even
>> >accesses.

>desktops
>> >on
>> >do
>out.
>> >One
>they

>> >other
>reseach
>> >shows

>of

>> >coming
>like

>for

Ben,

Thanks for your good responses. I appreciate that. (I agree - the other
responder could probably spare a few more words. Those responses had little
value. We can't read minds!)

I can't really get a good look at the writing on the Intel chips on the
mobos, but you are probably right about the BX chipset. I didn't know what
their max was (ATA-33 or -66). I was hoping they would at least be ATA-66
so I could squeeze a little more performance out of these systems.

Oh well, for what I paid for them (next to nothing) and for their intended
purpose (email, web surfing, light office apps) they should do fine.

Thanks again, Keith

If your systems are anything like Optiplex GX1s I've serviced, they have the
440BX chipset, both tower and small desktop setups... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:42:12 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:

>Ben,
>
>Thanks for your good responses. I appreciate that. (I agree - the other
>responder could probably spare a few more words. Those responses had little
>value. We can't read minds!)
>
>I can't really get a good look at the writing on the Intel chips on the
>mobos, but you are probably right about the BX chipset. I didn't know what
>their max was (ATA-33 or -66). I was hoping they would at least be ATA-66
>so I could squeeze a little more performance out of these systems.
>
>Oh well, for what I paid for them (next to nothing) and for their intended
>purpose (email, web surfing, light office apps) they should do fine.
>
>Thanks again, Keith

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Ben

The question of the OP to quote exactly was
"Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? .....I would like to
know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance."

The complete answer remains *NO*... these mobos support ATA-33 therefore
using an ATA-66 or -100 will not give the OP full use of performance. In
other words the answer to his question remains in its entirety No.

If you want to be a showoff and attempt to showup other posters with your
'supposed' superior knowledge that is fine with me, but the answer given was
correct and answered the question completely. Not all of us have the time to
post encyclopedic answers to simple questions, but all courteous additions
are always appreciated :) .

> If your systems are anything like Optiplex GX1s I've serviced, they have
the
> 440BX chipset, both tower and small desktop setups... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:42:12 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:
>
> >Ben,
> >
> >Thanks for your good responses. I appreciate that. (I agree - the other
> >responder could probably spare a few more words. Those responses had
little
> >value. We can't read minds!)
> >
> >I can't really get a good look at the writing on the Intel chips on the
> >mobos, but you are probably right about the BX chipset. I didn't know
what
> >their max was (ATA-33 or -66). I was hoping they would at least be
ATA-66
> >so I could squeeze a little more performance out of these systems.
> >
> >Oh well, for what I paid for them (next to nothing) and for their
intended
> >purpose (email, web surfing, light office apps) they should do fine.
> >
> >Thanks again, Keith

The 815 supports ATA-66.

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/815/

> The OptiPlex GX1 series of computers use either an Intel 440BX (older) or
an
> Intel 815 (newer) chipset, depending on the vintage. Either one will
accept an
> ATA-100 drive, but I'm dead certain that the 440BX chipset boards will not
run
> the drives at ATA-100 speeds, even with the newer 80-pin ATA cable. I'm
not as
> sure about the 815 chipset, but I doubt that it, too, will run at ATA-100.
> Probably ATA-66 max.
>
> Both the 400 and the 500MHz machines very likely use the 440BX chipset.
You can
> go to the Dell web site and put in their service tags to get some further
info,
> altho not in the clearest format. Better still, if these computers are
running
> Windows, the Device Manager in the System icon of Control Panel will tell
you
> which chipset according to the device drivers used.
>
> Your best shot at getting full performance out of the drives is to use a
3rd
> party ATA-100 disk controller, such as Promise (market leader) or SIIG.
Even
> then, the relatively slow speed of the processor may slow down disk
accesses.

> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:59:49 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently purchased a couple of nice Dell OptiPlex GX1 series desktops
on
> >eBay to clean up and give to family for email and web surfing. I want to
do
> >a few upgrades to increase their performance prior to handing them out.
One
> >of the things I would like to do is upgrade the hard drives so that they
> >will perform quicker.
> >
> >Both systems habe OptiPlex GX1 series badges. One is a P3-500 and the
other
> >is a P2-400.
> >The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
> >shows is an ATA-33 drive.
> >The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research
shows
> >is an ATA-66 drive.
> >
> >Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead of
> >the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.
> >
> >Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
> >ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives
coming
> >in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would like
> >know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.
> >
> >Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this for
> >me?
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >Keith

Here's a table.

http://www.eprom.com/home/faq/Intel(R)%20Chipset%20Comparison%20Chart%20-%20Value%20Desktop%20Chipsets.htm

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > >is a P2-400.
> > >The hard drive in the P2-400 is a Samsung 6.4GB drive that some reseach
> > >shows is an ATA-33 drive.
> > >The hard drive in the P3-500 is a Western Digital 75AA the my research
> shows
> > >is an ATA-66 drive.
> > >
> > >Both PCs had the "older" 30 conductor ATA-33 type of IDE cable instead
of
> > >the higher-density ATA-66 type of IDE cable.
> > >
> > >Question: Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
> > >ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? I have a couple of 10GB ATA-100 drives
> coming
> > >in to bump up the capacity and performance of these PCs and I would
like
> > >know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance.
> > >
> > >Anyone have any technical knowledge of these PCs that can answer this

I read the OP differently, and supplied a detailed response. But in your spirit
of brevity...

The Optiplex GX1 IDE adapters support ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drives, but do not
allow the drives to operate at their full rated speeds. BIOS limitations may
prevent proper installation of drivers greater than 132GB.

In short, a response of "No" is incomplete... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:30:34 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> wrote:

>Ben
>
>The question of the OP to quote exactly was
>"Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
>ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? .....I would like to
>know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance."
>
>The complete answer remains *NO*... these mobos support ATA-33 therefore
>using an ATA-66 or -100 will not give the OP full use of performance. In
>other words the answer to his question remains in its entirety No.
>
>If you want to be a showoff and attempt to showup other posters with your
>'supposed' superior knowledge that is fine with me, but the answer given was
>correct and answered the question completely. Not all of us have the time to
>post encyclopedic answers to simple questions, but all courteous additions
>are always appreciated :) .

>> If your systems are anything like Optiplex GX1s I've serviced, they have
>the
>> 440BX chipset, both tower and small desktop setups... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:42:12 GMT, "KWA" <email@email.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Ben,
>> >
>> >Thanks for your good responses. I appreciate that. (I agree - the other
>> >responder could probably spare a few more words. Those responses had
>little
>> >value. We can't read minds!)
>> >
>> >I can't really get a good look at the writing on the Intel chips on the
>> >mobos, but you are probably right about the BX chipset. I didn't know
>what
>> >their max was (ATA-33 or -66). I was hoping they would at least be
>ATA-66
>> >so I could squeeze a little more performance out of these systems.
>> >
>> >Oh well, for what I paid for them (next to nothing) and for their
>intended
>> >purpose (email, web surfing, light office apps) they should do fine.
>> >
>> >Thanks again, Keith

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

The OP stated "....I would like to
know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance."
The complete answer remains "no" -- he will not get full performance, which
what I interpreted was the essential answer the OP wanted he know -- but we
can remain in a friendly difference on this one,

Cheers,

> I read the OP differently, and supplied a detailed response. But in your
spirit
> of brevity...
>
> The Optiplex GX1 IDE adapters support ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drives, but
do not
> allow the drives to operate at their full rated speeds. BIOS limitations
may
> prevent proper installation of drivers greater than 132GB.
>
> In short, a response of "No" is incomplete... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:30:34 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net>
wrote:

> >Ben
> >
> >The question of the OP to quote exactly was
> >"Do these PCs have IDE adapters on-board that can support an
> >ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard drive? .....I would like to
> >know if I will be able to get the full use of their performance."
> >
> >The complete answer remains *NO*... these mobos support ATA-33 therefore
> >using an ATA-66 or -100 will not give the OP full use of performance. In
> >other words the answer to his question remains in its entirety No.
> >
> >If you want to be a showoff and attempt to showup other posters with your
> >'supposed' superior knowledge that is fine with me, but the answer given
was
> >correct and answered the question completely. Not all of us have the time
> >post encyclopedic answers to simple questions, but all courteous
additions
> >are always appreciated :) .
> >
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> If your systems are anything like Optiplex GX1s I've serviced, they
have
> >the
> >> 440BX chipset, both tower and small desktop setups... Ben Myers

> >little

> >what
> >ATA-66

> >intended

Wonderful, but the GX1 uses the pre-815 BX chipset, so it's ATA 33
only I believe....