More about anti virus firewall

    From: "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | My XP SP2 system is behaving strangely.... I run Trendmicro's PC-Cillin 2005
    | and have suddenly lost all control of it. When trying to open the program I
    | receive error messages telling me that most of it is disabled. Likewise when
    | I go to Security Centre in Control Panel, the firewall is disabled and will
    | not switch on because the network connection isn't there - yet I can still
    | talk to other computers on my home network and also the internet. Anyone got
    | any idea how to get the protection working again?

    Something may have gotton by Trend PC Cillin and caused this.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    In article <5AB5C685-8226-4E7D-90FF-BE7D0D752854@microsoft.com>,
    David@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > My XP SP2 system is behaving strangely.... I run Trendmicro's PC-Cillin 2005
    > and have suddenly lost all control of it. When trying to open the program I
    > receive error messages telling me that most of it is disabled. Likewise when
    > I go to Security Centre in Control Panel, the firewall is disabled and will
    > not switch on because the network connection isn't there - yet I can still
    > talk to other computers on my home network and also the internet. Anyone got
    > any idea how to get the protection working again?

    It could be that your computer is compromised, you might want to run a
    couple of the following cleaners to check it - after installing, run
    them in safe mode.

    Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:

    Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
    place to download their application.

    Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
    that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
    at them.

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    AdAwareSE can be found here:

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

    You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
    from here:
    http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

    Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
    name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
    get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
    admitted to in this group.

    When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
    in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.

    If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:

    Only download files from Trusted Sites.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me