ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
4 months ago i bought a 2.6C Intel cpu . It never has acted right , a week ago it would not go into windows , it would go to the windows start screen then go back into start up after it blue screened . Never makeing it into windows . Being as it has never acted right i bought another motherboard and its still doing the same thing . I can not get it to accept windows 2000 , will formate but then shuts down . I am thinking its the processor , as i have done everything in the motherboard FAQ section . Tried 2 motherboards , 4 different memories , 2 psu units. Will go into Bios , but not windows , and will not reformate . What do you guys think , as i said i think its the processor . If the general opinion is processor i will RMA back to Intel . Think you for your answers .
P4 2.6C
Asus P4P 800 Dlx.
Abit IS7
Fortron 530
kingston ( 2 types ) and OCZ memory
4200 video

The man of steel said that<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IronMike on 01/10/04 08:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It's not the processor. If it were you prolly wouldn't make it past POST and if you did it would have been for a very short while.

When you tried to format, did you do it by booting from the CD at startup?

You say that after you format you can't complete the installation, have you tried a different HD?

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Well, usually there are no out-of-the-box bad processors. When you hit the power the processor isn't yet responsible for calculations and the testing of each component but rather the BIOS and NB chip. Only after POST does the processor take control. You might get a "bad processor" message. System freezes during gaming and other CPU intensive programs are symptoms of overheating which is usually the result of a bad cooling solution of I suppose that the CPU can also be resposnible.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
when your turn on the computer, everything runs, hard drive, cd, PSU, fans, but you get no post screen. that is a sign of a dead cpu. it happened to me once, when i tried running an Athlon 900mhz without a heat sink.

<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 26,467</b></font color=red> :smile:
<b><font color=blue>Intel P4 2ghz ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
Question , after bios will a cpu reformate the hard drive if its bad ( dead ). I can go into reformatting , but it won't go out off it . Cpu is 4 months old and have had trouble ever since its been new . In the past i have always been able to reformate hard drive and reinstall operating system , now i have'nt been able to do that ( after installing new motherboard as i thought that was the problem ) . It seems like it looses its drivers or something like that.I am trying a 10 gig. seagate now .-----By the way , thanks for replying.

The man of steel said that

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
What do you fellers call post screen , i am calling post comeing on and able to go into bios . Which i am able to do . I am not able to go into windows as it starts the windows start up screen but after thats finished it restarts the computer ??????? How far will a dead processor go after bios or will it even go into bios ??????????

ironmike

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
One more question , can a cpu be partially dead , maybe like on life support ha ha. If it is i will pull the plug ha ha.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
yup thats what i get. if you get post, that mean you can get into bios setup. when my Athlon fried, i couldn't do that.

<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 26,467</b></font color=red> :smile:
<b><font color=blue>Intel P4 2ghz ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>