Question about early production Scared Stiff.

Hi,

I have an early production scared stiff.
It has factory installed Glow-in-the dark bony beast, claws, etc...

Is this very rare?
how many of these pins are produced?
what's the value (in europe)?

thanks

pictues: www.flipperfarm.be

Pascal - FlipperFarm.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an early production scared stiff.
> It has factory installed Glow-in-the dark bony beast, claws, etc...
>
> Is this very rare?
> how many of these pins are produced?
> what's the value (in europe)?
>
> thanks
>
> pictues: www.flipperfarm.be

I have one. Number 152.

Ron

Mike

Splendid

What makes it rare/desireable above and beyond the glow parts is if it
has the different playfield in it. I just had #90 come through the
shop, and it had differences like the one Robert Winter talks of on his
SS page. It had all glow bones/claws/beast also, including glow boney
flippers, which usually get lost through the course of life. I would
think that it would fetch $5K to the right person easy with all the
mods done to it in pristine condition (which it had, and it was nice...
it has since been sold)

Even MORE rare is if you have the one with the cabinet without the
Rated RRR scratched out on the side of it.

-Mike

Guys,
This might be a duplicate post as I received a server error the first
time I posted, if it's a repeated message I apoligise for the hassle.

I have one of the Scared Stiff "samples" I believe. It has all of the
glow parts skull, bones, lane returns, flippers, claws etc. It has
green boards under the playfield.

It also has the playfield with the special printing as noted on
Robert's site - "saved by the spell", spider webs on the insert by the
right ramp and a different face on the "stiff o meter"

My shooter rod is original with still a hint of the original light
green markings on the ball.

I have read something about there being 100 of these games out there.

My game has a serial number ending in 100159. Does this indicate that I
have #159?

Thanks,
Bob

Mike wrote:
> What makes it rare/desireable above and beyond the glow parts is if it
> has the different playfield in it. I just had #90 come through the
> shop, and it had differences like the one Robert Winter talks of on his
> SS page. It had all glow bones/claws/beast also, including glow boney
> flippers, which usually get lost through the course of life. I would
> think that it would fetch $5K to the right person easy with all the
> mods done to it in pristine condition (which it had, and it was nice...
> it has since been sold)
>
> Even MORE rare is if you have the one with the cabinet without the
> Rated RRR scratched out on the side of it.
>
> -Mike

The original sample games also had a different arch. Some of the early
production games has some of the sample fetaures but not all as supplies ran
out.

GRY

<Beaniebop5@aol.com> wrote in message
> Guys,
> This might be a duplicate post as I received a server error the first
> time I posted, if it's a repeated message I apoligise for the hassle.
>
> I have one of the Scared Stiff "samples" I believe. It has all of the
> glow parts skull, bones, lane returns, flippers, claws etc. It has
> green boards under the playfield.
>
> It also has the playfield with the special printing as noted on
> Robert's site - "saved by the spell", spider webs on the insert by the
> right ramp and a different face on the "stiff o meter"
>
> My shooter rod is original with still a hint of the original light
> green markings on the ball.
>
> I have read something about there being 100 of these games out there.
>
> My game has a serial number ending in 100159. Does this indicate that I
> have #159?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> Mike wrote:
>> What makes it rare/desireable above and beyond the glow parts is if it
>> has the different playfield in it. I just had #90 come through the
>> shop, and it had differences like the one Robert Winter talks of on his
>> SS page. It had all glow bones/claws/beast also, including glow boney
>> flippers, which usually get lost through the course of life. I would
>> think that it would fetch $5K to the right person easy with all the
>> mods done to it in pristine condition (which it had, and it was nice...
>> it has since been sold)
>>
>> Even MORE rare is if you have the one with the cabinet without the
>> Rated RRR scratched out on the side of it.
>>
>> -Mike

What differences were in the sample arches?

Thanks,
Bob

The Scared Stiff site is at http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/

Playfield differences are at
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/sample/sample.html

Note that there were quite a few of the "sample" playfields and glow
parts made. There are quite a few early production games (about 200)
floating around with numerous combinations of those parts.

You have an actual sample game (first 15?) *if* you have the following -

Sample playfield
Glow parts (head, ribs, flippers, inlanes, claws)
OEM boogie men kickers
White eyeball shooter
Unscratched "RRR" logo on the cabinet
Red boards under the playfield
Sample arch with spiders on both webs

The production arch can be seen a little here
http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/3915/image-20.jpg
http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/3915/image-18.jpg

and the sample arch here
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/official/ssbigpf.jpg

Robert
-----
http://www.robertwinter.com

qfrost wrote:
> Where is that webpage? Sounds like a good read - Q

Anyone reading this have one of those 15 *true* sample SS pins? Do
tell.

pr

Robert Winter wrote:
> The Scared Stiff site is at http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/
>
> Playfield differences are at
> http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/sample/sample.html
>
> Note that there were quite a few of the "sample" playfields and glow
> parts made. There are quite a few early production games (about 200)
> floating around with numerous combinations of those parts.
>
> You have an actual sample game (first 15?) *if* you have the following -
>
> Sample playfield
> Glow parts (head, ribs, flippers, inlanes, claws)
> OEM boogie men kickers
> White eyeball shooter
> Unscratched "RRR" logo on the cabinet
> Red boards under the playfield
> Sample arch with spiders on both webs
>
> The production arch can be seen a little here
> http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/3915/image-20.jpg
> http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/3915/image-18.jpg
>
> and the sample arch here
> http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/ss/official/ssbigpf.jpg
>
> Robert
> -----
> http://www.robertwinter.com
>
> qfrost wrote:
> > Where is that webpage? Sounds like a good read - Q

Al

I'm the lucky guy who just wound up with #90, and Mike is right: it's
beautiful, fun, and I love it. It has all of the sample/prototype
features except that the lens for the word "jackpot" on the right side
is production red, not sample clear.

It is a re-import from Der Fatherland, and as my ancestry is German,
that's fine with me. I wonder how many early models were sent abroad,
and how many have returned, especially in pristine condition.

Also, the pic of the guy on my Stiff-O-Meter level 3 (Pulse Pounding),
looks exactly like my neighbor, and that really IS scary!

Thanks Mike and Gene!

Al

I have game #147, and it came with the glow-in-the-dark parts. I think it
also had the eyeball shooter at one time; someone had replaced it with a
Stern-style unit before I purchased it.

I think I read that the first 200 or so units had the glow parts.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <1123185583.265618.110280@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Pascal -
FlipperFarm.be" <pascal@flipperfarm.be> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have an early production scared stiff.
>It has factory installed Glow-in-the dark bony beast, claws, etc...
>
>Is this very rare?
>how many of these pins are produced?
>what's the value (in europe)?
>
>thanks
>
>pictues: www.flipperfarm.be

I believe that Robert is right about the parts, my game has the
following:

White eyeball shooter with lite green writing
OEM bouncing boogiemen
Glow claws, return guides, skull & bones, flippers
Sample arch - 2 spiders on web
Sample playfield -

However my boards are green and my cabinet RRR is scratched.

Strange indeed.

Bob

Al wrote:
> I'm the lucky guy who just wound up with #90, and Mike is right: it's
> beautiful, fun, and I love it. It has all of the sample/prototype
> features except that the lens for the word "jackpot" on the right side
> is production red, not sample clear.
>
> It is a re-import from Der Fatherland, and as my ancestry is German,
> that's fine with me. I wonder how many early models were sent abroad,
> and how many have returned, especially in pristine condition.
>
> Also, the pic of the guy on my Stiff-O-Meter level 3 (Pulse Pounding),
> looks exactly like my neighbor, and that really IS scary!
>
> Thanks Mike and Gene!
>

> Al

One other odditiy on my game is that the jackpot insert is red, however
the insert below it has the spider webbing. On Robert's page, the
sample jackpot is white as well as the Lite spider insert. Mine is a
red insert with the webbing.

My "electrifying is green in the pop bumper area.

Bob

There were a number of strange early SS made. I think it's more accurate to
call the very first ones with red boards prototypes, these have all the
features listed. Then came the samples, followed by early production units
which seem to have used some of the features like glow bones until they were
used up. The game that I used to have had some of the original inserts like
the cat but not a green electrifying nor clear Jackpot. It did however have
the sample arch which seems to be an item that didn't make it far into the
sample/early production run/s. BTW I still have a close-up pic of the arch
if anybody wants me to email it to them.

> One other odditiy on my game is that the jackpot insert is red, however
> the insert below it has the spider webbing. On Robert's page, the
> sample jackpot is white as well as the Lite spider insert. Mine is a
> red insert with the webbing.
>
> My "electrifying is green in the pop bumper area.
>
> Bob

Well, now I am sure that my Scared Stiff is an early production.

It has alle the glow-in-the-dark-parts
It has the playfield differences
It has a apron with spiders.

Thanks for the info