Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Paste

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2004 3:12:30 PM

I installed retail kit for P4 2.8c, so I 've been told that the paste is on bottom of heatsink. I just then put heatsink onto CPU. Is there a tape or some covering to remove from this paste layer to expose it, or do I put on "as is"? Installation book does not mention removing any tape. Seems to be working alright.Thanks

More about : thermal paste

January 10, 2004 6:37:21 PM

Onto the thermal paste there should be a small piece of plastic. You should remove that and then install the HSF, so the thermal paste can contact your CPU's heatspreader.

<b>blah:</b> <font color=red>Don't show your stupidity, whole world knows that Intel is a much better CPU for stable work.</font color=red>
January 10, 2004 7:35:21 PM

If there was something to remove you would have seen it.
Intel retail boxed cpu's come with two types of thermal compound.
The Intel Heatsink Fans with the copper base come with a syringe filled with silver thermal compound that has to be spread on the cpu heatspreader.
The Intel all aluminum Heatsink Fans have a preapplied Thermal Interface Material (TIM). The TIM is not covered by any tape.

The installation book did not mention removing any tape because there is no tape to remove.
If you had to apply any thermal paste it would have been noted in the installation book.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2004 10:11:46 PM

Intel uses "thermal tape" which you dont' remove, it does the same job as paste but without the mess.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!