XP Pro install problem

I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and updated
to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were installed under
the previous windows xp are not in the startup list (msconfig) and nor are
they in the Add/Remove programs list (control panel). I also lost my
Favorites etc. How can I recover these.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about install problem

    I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during the
    upgrade/install.
    The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old - to - new
    computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the programs? Please say i
    dont have to...............................

    > I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and updated
    > to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were installed under
    > the previous windows xp are not in the startup list (msconfig) and nor are
    > they in the Add/Remove programs list (control panel). I also lost my
    > Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    >
    > Thanks

    No Frank sorry there is no way to cheat.
    Im surprised you didn't look this up before reinstalling.
    You will need to reinstall each program so that it can add the appropriate
    registry keys etc.

    Do you still have your old profile saved in Docs and Settings? If you have
    overwritten everything then likely your Favourites are gone. But then i
    haven't done this recently so someone else may enlighten us.

    Also I think you need to look at some other posts (or others will post
    links) about imaging your pc so you dont need to go through this again.

    "frankg" wrote:

    > I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during the
    > upgrade/install.
    > The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    > Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old - to - new
    > computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the programs? Please say i
    > dont have to...............................
    >

    > > I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and updated
    > > to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were installed under
    > > the previous windows xp are not in the startup list (msconfig) and nor are
    > > they in the Add/Remove programs list (control panel). I also lost my
    > > Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    >I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during the
    >upgrade/install.
    > The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    > Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old - to -
    > new computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the programs? Please
    > say i dont have to...............................
    >

    >> I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and
    >> updated to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were
    >> installed under the previous windows xp are not in the startup list
    >> (msconfig) and nor are they in the Add/Remove programs list (control
    >> panel). I also lost my Favorites etc. How can I recover these.

    problem was that at one point it told me that data files and programs would
    not be affected.

    so i have to re-install everything. hopefully i can still get to the data
    that is associated with the program e.g Quicken

    but how do i uninstall the 'old' programs - they dont appear in the
    add/remove list and they dont have their own uninstaller

    In article <l2MTe.17956$vN.600714@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    sorry@stoppingspam.com says...
    > I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during the
    > upgrade/install.
    > The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    > Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old - to - new
    > computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the programs? Please say i
    > dont have to...............................

    If you had done and "Upgrade" they would still work, but since you
    "overwrote" the setup you also deleted their registry keys and any ini
    files that were used by Windows to know about the apps.

    Reinstall them is your only solution.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In news:l2MTe.17956$vN.600714@news20.bellglobal.com,
    frankg <sorry@stoppingspam.com> replied with a ;-)
    > I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during
    > the upgrade/install.
    > The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    > Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old -
    > to - new computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the
    > programs? Please say i dont have to...............................
    >

    >> I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and
    >> updated to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were
    >> installed under the previous windows xp are not in the startup list
    >> (msconfig) and nor are they in the Add/Remove programs list (control
    >> panel). I also lost my Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    You need to reinstall, and your My documents folder is lost, plus by
    converting to ntfs during the install, you would no longer have the option
    if it was available to uninstall back to the previous state. Converting the
    file system during an install makes it a one way trip, going back is no
    longer an option.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    In news:7%MTe.19347$vN.612696@news20.bellglobal.com,
    frankg <sorry@stoppingspam.com> replied with a ;-)
    >> I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during
    >> the upgrade/install.
    >> The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    >> Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old -
    >> to - new computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the
    >> programs? Please say i dont have to...............................
    >>

    >>> I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and
    >>> updated to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were
    >>> installed under the previous windows xp are not in the startup list
    >>> (msconfig) and nor are they in the Add/Remove programs list (control
    >>> panel). I also lost my Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    >
    > problem was that at one point it told me that data files and programs
    > would not be affected.
    >
    > so i have to re-install everything. hopefully i can still get to the
    > data that is associated with the program e.g Quicken
    >
    > but how do i uninstall the 'old' programs - they dont appear in the
    > add/remove list and they dont have their own uninstaller

    It may have said that in a window that gave the options to choose, but you
    didn't choose that option. When you select the option to reinstall, it tells
    you all data in My documents will be lost and you will need to reinstall you
    programs.
    Program Files folder will be intact, and all other non-Windows folders will
    be available, but you will need to reinstall applications that write to the
    registry.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    I think it's best to reinstall them.
    "frankg" <sorry@stoppingspam.com> wrote in message
    >I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during the
    >upgrade/install.
    > The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    > Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old - to -
    > new computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the programs? Please
    > say i dont have to...............................
    >

    >> I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and
    >> updated to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were
    >> installed under the previous windows xp are not in the startup list
    >> (msconfig) and nor are they in the Add/Remove programs list (control
    >> panel). I also lost my Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >> I should have added that I changed the drive from fat to ntfs during
    >> the upgrade/install.
    >> The programs are all still in the Programs folder on the drive.
    >> Is there a way of 'cheating' the transfer wizard that it's an old -
    >> to - new computer transfer? Or do I have to re-install all the
    >> programs? Please say i dont have to...............................
    >>

    >>> I've installed XP pro over (overwritten) another version of XP and
    >>> updated to SP2. But the problem is that all the programs that were
    >>> installed under the previous windows xp are not in the startup list
    >>> (msconfig) and nor are they in the Add/Remove programs list (control
    >>> panel). I also lost my Favorites etc. How can I recover these.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >
    > You need to reinstall, and your My documents folder is lost, plus by
    > converting to ntfs during the install, you would no longer have the option
    > if it was available to uninstall back to the previous state. Converting
    > the file system during an install makes it a one way trip, going back is
    > no longer an option.

    Thanks. I've begun the program re-installation process.

    1. Can you tell me how to recognize and cleanup other redundant folders
    that are no longer in use - there appear to be many 'user' folders and I
    cant easily tell which were left overs, and which are new installations with
    the latest windows xp.
    2. And programs that are still under 'program files', and in the root,
    that I no longer wish to re-install under the new windows, can i simply
    delete them as they dont appear under add/remove notr do i see an
    uninstaller in their folders? Would they have entries in the registry (new)?

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP