Sign in with
Your question

Number pad not working in windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2012 6:56:00 PM

My number keypad just stopped working. I don't know if i hit a certain key or if it is some kind of virus.
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 6:58:21 PM

Check NumLock
m
l
November 20, 2012 7:06:21 PM

Tried that and that is not cause. When i hit a number, whatever number comes up any following numbers go in succession and not as the ones entered.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 7:15:04 PM

If it's a desktop. Unplug the keyboard. Wait a minute or two and replug it in a different USB slot. Usb peripherals are very prone to static shock and it does funny things with them. (especially this time of year)

What your wanting it to do is reinstall the drivers, Should get a pop up in the lower right of the screen saying installing device software etc.
m
l
November 20, 2012 7:22:46 PM

Tried that and that is not cause. When i hit a number, whatever number comes up any following numbers go in succession and not as the ones entered.

Computer is a Gateway laptop
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 7:26:05 PM

Attach a USB keyboard and try the keypad. If it works then replace the laptop keyboard. If the problem persists then it's new motherboard time.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 7:28:49 PM

Was anything spilt or has it been dropped recently? Being a laptop it sounds like a hardware issue to me :/ . Ive had keyboards type the wrong keys before after physical dmg.

And just to make sure im reading it right. When you hit say number 0 on the numkey it may in fact type out a 7 instead. Or vice versa.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 7:30:00 PM

Ya I'd agree with bubblehead.

*edit* Also... Just reading around. Try hitting the (fn) function key. And numlock at the same time. See if that changes the response your getting.
m
l
November 29, 2012 11:19:00 PM

I shut everything off and restarted the computer. It works. Thanks for all the help
m
l
!