How do I get rid of lines of flickering red dots across my monitor?

millerfamily5

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi

I recently purchased a computer in Sept 2012 from Dino PC in the UK where I live. It has been running very well apart from an irritating red dot problem.

My pc has an Intel i5 3570k processor (not over clocked) which has no additional graphics card and runs using the on board graphics HD 4000. I don't play computer games.

I have connected my monitor (a Hanns G HG 216D) to another computer to check that my monitor or cables were not at fault and the lines of red dots do not appear.

I have my monitor connected to the pc with a VGA cable but I have also connected my monitor to my pc with 2 different HDMI cables and the red dots still appear. I have also connected my pc to a tv to use as a monitor with a different HDMI cable and the red dots still appear.

These red dots didn't appear immediately when I first had the pc. I believe that they began to appear once I started updating my pc with the latest windows 7 updates (x64 bit).

The red dots appear horizontally across the monitor screen each time I switch on the pc at the very bottom edge of the screen (in small columns) then when the Asus screen appears (motherboard is Asus p8z77-V LX) in a single line horizontally across the middle of the screen, then again in a single line horizontally when the windows 7 start up screen appears.

They then appear again if I have an image in the centre of the screen which is a dark block. In this case they are grouped together in a horizontal block about 4 dots high and about 30 dots wide to the centre right of the dark area.

The line of dots only appears horizontally and in red on dark screens.

Occasionally I have seen the same lines of dots on a light coloured block in the centre right of the screen when the dots are pale blue and in the same formation.

If I move the mouse over the red dots when they appear in a centre block of a dark colour the red dots momentarily disappear.

I have contacted Dino PC and they suggest rebooting my pc from the Windows 7 disc. On following their instructions for the process I couldn't locate an option on the boot menu for booting from the Windows 7 disc. I have backed up my files etc to an external hard drive.

Any advice on how to remove these dots would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Richard

Solution
If the PC is still under warranty then a motherboard replacement should be the first thing (as it doesn't cost you anything). However, an add-on card would result in improved video performance (Intel graphics suck for anything other than office apps).

The Intel graphics adapter is integrated into the motherboard. Replacement requires that the entire motherboard be replaced. Installing a card will disable the onboard graphics and no MB replacement required. It's highly unlikely that a failure elsewhere on the motherboard is the problem.

The card or chip that creates the display. In this case it's integrated into the motherboard. You have only two options at this point:

1. Replace the motherboard.
2. Install a new graphics adapter and cease using the onboard.

millerfamily5

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I can't see why the OS would be at fault either.

Also the Dino PC tech support kind of indicated that I had created the problem by downloading windows important updates. Dino suggest I should have only downloaded specific updates which I knew were appropriate.

How I would know which were appropriate I dont know! I assumed that If Microsoft were telling me that the updates are important then I should download them.

It has nothing to do with updates. That tech support sounds like a bunch of yahoos (that's cleaned up considerably from what I really think). You have a hardware problem and you're back to the two options I outlined. If the PC is under warranty then get the motherboard replaced. Otherwise drop a couple of coins on a new video adapter.

millerfamily5

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
That's what I thought I will have a discussion with Dino about your two options. I am happy enough to get a graphics card installed as this will surely be an improvement of the pc. As I am not into gaming, do you have any suggestions for an appropriate graphics card?

If there is a problem with the on board graphics of the processor, how might the replacement of the motherboard improve matters?

I presume that the installation of a graphics card will enable the on board graphics on the processor to be over ridden. If the on board graphics is not at fault and the problem is with the motherboard shouldn't I start by asking Dino to replace the motherboard?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit basic.

If the PC is still under warranty then a motherboard replacement should be the first thing (as it doesn't cost you anything). However, an add-on card would result in improved video performance (Intel graphics suck for anything other than office apps).

The Intel graphics adapter is integrated into the motherboard. Replacement requires that the entire motherboard be replaced. Installing a card will disable the onboard graphics and no MB replacement required. It's highly unlikely that a failure elsewhere on the motherboard is the problem.

Solution

australianm8

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

Despite what the other replies have said, you may want to try a fresh OS install to be safe. I also have a 3rd Gen. Intel processor and recently encountered specks of color on dark backgrounds. I'm using a laptop with switchable graphics and I only get the spots when I'm using the HD4000, the discreet does not seem to cause any issues. So give the reinstall a shot and you might only be out a few hours as opposed to waiting on a pointless RMA.

millerfamily5

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi ex-bubblehead and australiam8

Thanks for your replies and lots of advice ex-b. I returned my pc to Dino and they replaced the motherboard. I don't think the OS was re-installed as I lost no saved data on the hard drives.
Everything is working fine now on my pc and NO red lines or dots!

Best wishes

Richard :)