  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows XP
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 2:50:23 AM

I love my laptop (HP zd7140us) but it has one unforgivable issue, it
suddenly shuts down with no warning, no blue screens and nothing that
seems applicable in the event logs.

It seemed to be some kind of battery issue, but I ran tests per HP's
tech support and that didn't seem to be the problem.

Now, the problem can replicated by doing one of two things. I
installed Picasa from Google's site and while this application is
searching my Desktop for pictures, my laptop will shutdown each time.
It doesn't seem to be the same image that causes it to crash, but it
is very hard to catch exactly what is happening right before the
failure.

The second, and most recent, procedure that causes the crash is when
editing an image I downloaded from Microsoft's site (sg_logo.jpg in
creating_HTAs.zip). I converted the image to a 256 color bitmap using
MSPaint, and then when trying to remove some of the color my machine
will crash usually on the third time I use the eraser tool.

What could be causing these crashes and how can they be stopped?

XP Pro, SP2, all the latest hotfixes. 3GHz CPU, 1.5GB of RAM.

Thanks
Clay Calvert
CCalvert@Wanguru.com
Replace "W" with "L"

More about : sudden shutdowns

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 8, 2005 6:43:15 PM

"Clay Calvert" <ccalvert@Wanguru.com> wrote in message
> I love my laptop (HP zd7140us) but it has one unforgivable issue, it
> suddenly shuts down with no warning, no blue screens and nothing that
> seems applicable in the event logs.
>
> It seemed to be some kind of battery issue, but I ran tests per HP's
> tech support and that didn't seem to be the problem.
>
> Now, the problem can replicated by doing one of two things. I
> installed Picasa from Google's site and while this application is
> searching my Desktop for pictures, my laptop will shutdown each time.
> It doesn't seem to be the same image that causes it to crash, but it
> is very hard to catch exactly what is happening right before the
> failure.
>
> The second, and most recent, procedure that causes the crash is when
> editing an image I downloaded from Microsoft's site (sg_logo.jpg in
> creating_HTAs.zip). I converted the image to a 256 color bitmap using
> MSPaint, and then when trying to remove some of the color my machine
> will crash usually on the third time I use the eraser tool.
>
> What could be causing these crashes and how can they be stopped?
>
> XP Pro, SP2, all the latest hotfixes. 3GHz CPU, 1.5GB of RAM.
>
> Thanks
> Clay Calvert
> CCalvert@Wanguru.com
> Replace "W" with "L"

I used to have exactly the same issue, except in my case it was
WinVNC and pcAnywhere that caused the instantaneous reboots.
After putting up with the issue for a few months (and searching in
vain for the underlying cause) I dropped the machine back to an
image I had created six months before. It hasn't missed a beat since.