Sign in with
Your question

Adminstrator issues

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2012 8:39:33 PM

Hello,

This might be lengthy but I need an answer as soon as possible. I was on the internet this morning and suddenly I lost connection to the internet, I'm connected by ethernet so I tried a different cord and it wouldn't recognize anything, that there was a connection what so ever. So i restored to a previous date assuming the new update, as usual, screwed my laptop up. Same issue happened, but then this time as adminstrator I cant run chkdsk, tells me acsess is denied and that i dont have sufficient privledges, even though im the adminstrator and only user on the laptop. Also troubleshooting things, anything, it can't continue due to an error, it the details of the error it used to say Restricted but now it says Elevated, like the chkdsk thing as well which mentions that i have to invoke the utility running in elevated mode. My internet after shutting down is back but i'm still confused. Any help?

More about : adminstrator issues

a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 8:48:51 PM

Assuming your trying to run it from the cmd prompt. using chkdsk /f C: (/f to fix errors)

Are you using an elevated cmd prompt? Sorry if it's a dumb question just wasn't sure from your description. IE: right click cmd and run as administrator.
November 20, 2012 8:52:56 PM

I'm not..computer savy uh..I'm not even sure what this whole elevated deal means? I did the cmd prompt there and it tells me the file is ntsf, cannot lock current drive, and that it cannot run because the volume is in use by another program, and asking if i want to check it the next time the system restarts :( ?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 9:00:06 PM

katiec said:
I'm not..computer savy uh..I'm not even sure what this whole elevated deal means? I did the cmd prompt there and it tells me the file is ntsf, cannot lock current drive, and that it cannot run because the volume is in use by another program, and asking if i want to check it the next time the system restarts :( ?

just choose to schedule the check on the next boot like it prompts. It will not let you run scandisk on the C:\ drive because it IS in use.
November 20, 2012 9:01:23 PM

update; ran chkdsk and it gave me a buncha stuff i dont understand. guess my only issue now that i know about is the trouble shooting error, it runs for like two seconds and tells me it can't because an unexpected error, which only occured once i lost my connection randomly. it's not a virus is it? someone secretly looking at all my files...? D:
November 20, 2012 9:02:42 PM

danny2000 said:
just choose to schedule the check on the next boot like it prompts. It will not let you run scandisk on the C:\ drive because it IS in use.

okay!
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 9:03:02 PM

Ok so what elevated basically means is that you need to run it as an administrator. So.. When you right click on an application one of the options you'll commonly see is run as administrator. For your chkdsk what i would advise to do is hit start, in the search field type in cmd it will find command prompt. Right click on the image and run as administrator. Once your command prompt opens type in chkdsk /f C: hit enter. It will ask you to restart hit Y for yes and restart your machine. *note* It can take quit a while for it to do a dskchk so be prepared to go do something for an hour or two. using the /f will automatically attempt to fix any errors it finds.

As far as loosing the internet it could have been a number of things even an issue with your isp (service provider)

Make sure your malware and antivirus are up to date and after you run the chkdsk do a scan of both.
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2012 11:36:01 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Ok so what elevated basically means is that you need to run it as an administrator. So.. When you right click on an application one of the options you'll commonly see is run as administrator. For your chkdsk what i would advise to do is hit start, in the search field type in cmd it will find command prompt. Right click on the image and run as administrator. Once your command prompt opens type in chkdsk /f C: hit enter. It will ask you to restart hit Y for yes and restart your machine. *note* It can take quit a while for it to do a dskchk so be prepared to go do something for an hour or two. using the /f will automatically attempt to fix any errors it finds.

As far as loosing the internet it could have been a number of things even an issue with your isp (service provider)

Make sure your malware and antivirus are up to date and after you run the chkdsk do a scan of both.

it would be: chkdsk c: /f or your could do by placing ticks in the boxes here:

1.Double-click Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2.Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3.Under Error-checking, click Check Now. The Check disk options dialog box appears.
4.Use one of the following procedures: ◦To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
◦To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
◦To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 1:55:16 PM

danny2000 said:

Ive ran it hundreds of times as chkdsk /f C: It works both ways.. Doesn't matter if it's /f first or second you get the same result ;) .

Althou to OP his other method is probably easier to understand.
*edit* sorry for the stupid dbl post.
a b $ Windows 7
November 21, 2012 1:55:17 PM

danny2000 said:

Ive ran it hundreds of times as chkdsk /f C: It works both ways.. Doesn't matter if it's /f first or second you get the same result ;) .

Althou to OP his other method is probably easier to understand.
!