Windows backup question

Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.

Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was verified
by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.

The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.

Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
program to read my file?

TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about windows backup question

    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_open_qic_backup_files_i.htm

    In news:OSkD0qCtFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kevin <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> replied with a ;-)
    > Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
    >
    > Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my
    > 98 os and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and
    > was verified by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
    >

    > The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
    >
    > Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
    > program to read my file?
    >
    > TIA

    You will need to use a third party backup application that recoginizes .qic
    format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
    Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
    http://support.sonic.com/

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Kevin <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
    >
    > Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP

    Nope. See also
    "Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98,
    or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305381

    > or a freeware backup program to read my file?

    There might be third-party software available, however, I only
    recommend software when tested myself and this is not the case.

    --
    d-d

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:06:17 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kevin favored us with...
    > Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
    >
    > Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
    > and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was verified
    > by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
    >

    > The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
    >
    > Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
    > program to read my file?

    The excellent Win98 backup software was not made by Microsoft but by
    Seagate (later acquired by Veritas). I can't see that it would hurt
    to try to install that on your WinXP machine, if you've got an
    install disk. Worst case is that it just wouldn't run.

    Alternatively, the software now belongs to Stomp Software and is
    called Backup My PC. You could try the free trial download at
    http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html
    and see if it can read the old media.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:36:52 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Michael Stevens favored us
    with...
    > You will need to use a third party backup application that recoginizes .qic
    > format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
    > Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
    > http://support.sonic.com/

    I wonder, is this the same "Backup My PC" that Stomp Software is
    selling? The feature set seems the same, at a quick overview anyway.
    http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    "Kevin" <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
    >
    > Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
    > and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was
    verified
    > by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
    >

    > The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
    >
    > Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
    > program to read my file?
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks guys for your help.

    What a shock...... Another MS product (a backup program!) not backward
    compatible. Yet security flaws like Lanman hang around for years..........

    In news:MPG.1d8a9362ce8e836a98973d@news.individual.net,
    Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> replied with a ;-)
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:36:52 -0700 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Michael Stevens favored us
    > with...
    >> You will need to use a third party backup application that
    >> recoginizes .qic format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
    >> Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
    >> http://support.sonic.com/
    >
    > I wonder, is this the same "Backup My PC" that Stomp Software is
    > selling? The feature set seems the same, at a quick overview anyway.
    > http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html

    Stan,
    I believe it is the same.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    NTbackup and "DOS/Windows" backup have never been compatible. backward
    or otherwise.

    Kevin wrote:

    > "Kevin" <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
    >>
    >>Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
    >>and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was
    >
    > verified
    >
    >>by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
    >>

    >>The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
    >>
    >>Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
    >>program to read my file?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    > Thanks guys for your help.
    >
    > What a shock...... Another MS product (a backup program!) not backward
    > compatible. Yet security flaws like Lanman hang around for years..........

Backup Windows XP