Windows backup question

Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.

Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was verified
by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.

The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.

Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
program to read my file?

TIA

In news:OSkD0qCtFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kevin <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> replied with a ;-)
> Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
>
> Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my
> 98 os and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and
> was verified by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
>

> The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
>
> Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
> program to read my file?
>
> TIA

You will need to use a third party backup application that recoginizes .qic
format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
http://support.sonic.com/

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Kevin <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
>
> Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP

Nope. See also
"Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98,
or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305381

> or a freeware backup program to read my file?

There might be third-party software available, however, I only
recommend software when tested myself and this is not the case.

--
d-d

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:06:17 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kevin favored us with...
> Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
>
> Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
> and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was verified
> by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
>

> The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
>
> Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
> program to read my file?

The excellent Win98 backup software was not made by Microsoft but by
Seagate (later acquired by Veritas). I can't see that it would hurt
to try to install that on your WinXP machine, if you've got an
install disk. Worst case is that it just wouldn't run.

Alternatively, the software now belongs to Stomp Software and is
called Backup My PC. You could try the free trial download at
http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html
and see if it can read the old media.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:36:52 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Michael Stevens favored us
with...
> You will need to use a third party backup application that recoginizes .qic
> format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
> Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
> http://support.sonic.com/

I wonder, is this the same "Backup My PC" that Stomp Software is
selling? The feature set seems the same, at a quick overview anyway.

"Kevin" <notmyaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded a old pc running win 98 to xp.
>
> Before I reformatted and installed the new os I made a backup of my 98 os
> and files using ms backup on a DVD. The file was about 3 gb and was
verified
> by the backup program. It has the file extension .qic.
>

> The XP ms backup doesn't recognize the .qic format.
>
> Anyone know if I can install the 98 backup on XP or a freeware backup
> program to read my file?
>
> TIA

Thanks guys for your help.

What a shock...... Another MS product (a backup program!) not backward
compatible. Yet security flaws like Lanman hang around for years..........

In news:MPG.1d8a9362ce8e836a98973d@news.individual.net,
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> replied with a ;-)
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:36:52 -0700 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Michael Stevens favored us
> with...
>> You will need to use a third party backup application that
>> recoginizes .qic format. XP cannot natively restore .qic backups.
>> Backup My PC from Sonic can restore .qic backups.
>> http://support.sonic.com/
>
> I wonder, is this the same "Backup My PC" that Stomp Software is
> selling? The feature set seems the same, at a quick overview anyway.
> http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html

Stan,
I believe it is the same.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

NTbackup and "DOS/Windows" backup have never been compatible. backward
or otherwise.