How to find MBR partion of windows?

September 8, 2005 1:59:01 AM

Hi i've installed couple of windows Os and due to some reason i can't boot up
my MBR is croupt. i've to re write my MBR. But first i want to know how can
i find my MBR-Master Boot Record partion. I have two hard drives and many
partions on each drive is there a i can find my MBR partions addres in rescue
or repair mode?
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:28:05 AM

I've couple of XP Pro and Windows 2003 runniung on seprate two hardrives. So
on which partion i should run repair fdisk-mbr
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:26:12 AM

In news:CD71174E-DDE3-440F-A7C0-32173D06EA74@microsoft.com,
Jatinder <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
> Hi i've installed couple of windows Os and due to some reason i can't
> boot up my MBR is croupt. i've to re write my MBR. But first i want
> to know how can i find my MBR-Master Boot Record partion. I have two
> hard drives and many partions on each drive is there a i can find my
> MBR partions addres in rescue or repair mode?

Use recovery console to find information your hard drive partitions.
Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Recovery console info.
#21 on the FAQ list.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi i've installed couple of windows Os and due to some reason i can't boot
> up
> my MBR is croupt. i've to re write my MBR. But first i want to know how
> can
> i find my MBR-Master Boot Record partion. I have two hard drives and many
> partions on each drive is there a i can find my MBR partions addres in
> rescue
> or repair mode?

Google for 'Fixmbr'. This will tell you all you need to know about
repairing the mbr.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:37:02 AM

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've couple of XP Pro and Windows 2003 runniung on seprate two hardrives. So
>on which partion i should run repair fdisk-mbr

Which drive is configured as the primary boot drive in your computer's
BIOS setup?

Normally the boot drive is the master drive on the primary IDE
channel, but some BIOS versions allow you to change this.

You do not want to use FDISK /MBR on the drives containing your
Windows XP or 2003 partitions. Doing so will render them unbootable,
and possibly unusable. FDISK is a DOS/Windows 9x tool and should not
be used with drives containing NT based versions of Windows.

Instead boot your computer to the Windows XP Recovery Console using
your Windows XP Installation CD and run FIXMBR from the recovery
console command prompt.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--