Your question

CPU modding

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Modding
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2004 10:59:57 PM

Sorry that this question maybe old but I have not seen any in the board. I have played around with OC and basically just with FSB. Hwever, I have Palomino, which is not really good for OC.

Now I read the ocinside website about wire method under the CPU. Is it just that I round some pair of pin with small metal wires and push the CPU into the socket.How does this affect the tightening of CPU in socket and what is the true explanation of this activities.

Also, can I expect anything nice with my Palomino from this modding.

Regards.

More about : cpu modding

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2004 11:12:55 PM

No, wire mods are meant to modify pin definitions as seen by the motherboard, for example raising voltage or unlocking multipliers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 13, 2004 7:32:53 AM

Maybe I am wrong, but this mod was for Tbred and not for Palomino. For unlocking Palominos you have to follow the method described, for example, in THG - CPU section. The article is quite old.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
January 13, 2004 1:11:26 PM

Mostly just for unlocking the multiplier and voltage but the temps on those Palominos are high enough that you would need water cooling as a minimum. Just bridge up the L1 caches with some epoxy and jump the multiplier up.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)