Sign in with
Your question

Is a Celeron 2.0 GHz 400fsb really crappy?

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2004 3:28:07 PM

Why is the Celeron 2.0 GHz cpu so crappy? I have read that it is. Does it really have a 400 fsb… or 200, however you conceptualize it?

I am working on a friends HP with that cpu, and she is using PC2100 ram with it… will it improve a LOT if I get her PC3200 ram and a board that supports it?

Her board is currently an ASUS/HP P4G533-LA, and is does not even have an AGP slot... I am wanting to get her a micro board that fits in her case that has an AGP slot... as well as support for PC3200 ram... the ASUS P4S533-MX.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263
January 13, 2004 3:37:36 PM

The Celeron is crappy because it doesn't have enough cache to keep itself afloat.

Giving it better RAM will do jack...her RAM is already faster than the FSB anyway. If you want to get her a microboard with an AGP slot, go right ahead, but a PCI FX 5600 will do her fine, not like the video card will be her bottleneck.

Sorry if I seem rude (I am being rude, I know), I'm in a really bad mood.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
January 13, 2004 4:19:30 PM

Yes the celery is that crap for a couple reasons, the 2ghz celery is a 100mhz fsb chip (if my head is screwed on straight) with a miniscule ammount of cache. It's pretty much utter crap, almost any ath xp or pentium 4 will beat it into the floor (even at much lower clockrates.) You are *way* better off to buy an amd 1700+ and good board for it (yes it will be faster than a celery and it's upgradeable to a 3000 at least.)

Quick compare would be:
Cel 2.0 - 63
Mobo P4S533 - 60
Total: 123

AMD 1700+ - 46
Mobo K7N2GM-L - 80
Total: 126

*shrug* There are alot cheaper boards you could go with amd side, but I'm leary about no name mobos. Already having the chip would make it hard... maybe when you take hte mobo out take the chip too and sell them on ebay to recoup costs a bit?

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/shadus.html" target="_new">Shadus</A>
Related resources
January 13, 2004 4:22:29 PM

He's working on an existing system, though...otherwise I'd strongly recommend that he go with the AXP, it's A LOT better. He could probably sell it for 60ish if he can market like Intel, otherwise 50ish.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
January 13, 2004 6:14:40 PM

It depends one what you plan to use the system for. Why are you upgrading it in the first place?
January 13, 2004 6:30:53 PM

The only thing Celerons are good at is very computationally intensive jobs, because they still have the same core as any Pentium 4. But as soon as it has to work with a lot of data, the memory can't keep up. So most of the time it is just waiting for data...
January 13, 2004 6:45:40 PM

It is for a friend's 2nd computer... his wife claims it... but it is used as a 2nd gaming computer on his LAN. I am going to get him a better video card on his current system and put his current ATI 9100 on this computer, thus the need for an AGP slot...

It cannot be a 100MHz fsb, can it? It must be 200MHz fsb, or so everything I read on the internet claims... Unless that is very misleading... the lack of Cache sucks... too bad for him.

Hey, this board I am thinking of ordering has 2 PC133 ram slots as well... with this crappy cpu, would 512 MB of PC133 be any worse that the PC2100? If not, I could also upgrade his other board and use the PC2100 ram in it... perhaps getting him a cheap NForce board and a Barton 2500+... I have a thread about his computer in the motherboard threads that I posted this morning...

Or, is there a cheap Inter cpu to to replace that Celeron that is supported... that will put that PC2100 ram to work?

John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Titanion on 01/13/04 04:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 13, 2004 8:23:11 PM

If you are goning to replace the mobo, I suggest double checking to see if this HP has the embeded chip thingy on the mobo. The embeded chip is there to allow the OS to work. In other words, if you change the mobo you may have to purchase another copy of the OS. If you buy a HP I don't believe you own the OS. Merely licences it. Here's a link to check out;<A HREF="http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/pa..." target="_new">http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/pa...;/A>

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
9600 Pro
Win98SE
January 13, 2004 8:45:51 PM

Quote:
It cannot be a 100MHz fsb, can it? It must be 200MHz fsb, or so everything I read on the internet claims... Unless that is very misleading... the lack of Cache sucks... too bad for him.

It IS 100MHz... or if you like 400MHz QDR. The P4 bus is 'quad-pumped' ie 100MHz = 400MHz QDR, 133MHz = 533MHz QDR and 200MHz = 800MHz QDR. The Celerons and old P4s use the 400MHz FSB, the P4B uses 533MHz and the newest P4Cs use 800MHz.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
January 13, 2004 9:28:16 PM

I think XP Home has already been replaced with XP Pro...

That quad pumped thing stinks... I am an AMD guy, and I know squat about the Intel chips... When I see 400fsb, I think WOW... but really 100fsb! Will using PC133 ram hurt this machine at all?

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2004 11:32:46 PM

The Celeron 2.0GHz should be slower than ANY P4. What CPU does she have now?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 14, 2004 1:25:06 AM

Just get her an asus nforce vm board and an xp2400. That way she can reuse her ram. It's a good stable platform, and offers twice + the speed of her current system for about the same price as a P4c chip.
January 14, 2004 5:04:10 AM

There are 2 computers I am working with here. I would rather upgrade her husband's computer, my friend, and use the PC2100 ram in a new Nforce board for him. His current computer has PC133 ram. The board I am thinking of getting for her computer, that has an AGP slot, suppoprts both 168 pin and 184 pin ram, 2 slots each. His computer has an ATI 9100 in it. I would move the 9100 to her computer. For him, I will advocate upgrading to an ATI 9600. So there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle, with a limited budget. A better P4 cpu can be down the road. If the husband gets a ABIT Nforce board and a Barton, he would use the PC2100 ram to start with. Down the road, when he upgrades to PC3200 ram, the PC2100 stuff can go back in hers, and she can get a better P4 to replace the celeron, but at present, with the crappy celeron, it seems like the sucky PC133 ram would be a good fit... I have a thread about the husbands computer in the motherboard threads... I really need to get the most bang for his buck, and make the best use of the parts they have... and at the same time, make it a fairly easy job for me to do... for this is a favor for a friend... again, thanks for all the ideas... this all helps me make good decisions... there is usually more logic and reason involved when I am asking questions about my own computers :) 

January 14, 2004 8:09:06 AM

the 2.0ghz Celeron is good at running multimedia apps and video. if your friend just uses the computer for internet, then this cpu is good enough. getting faster ram could concievably help a little.

-------
<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 27,923</b></font color=red> :smile:
<b><font color=blue>512mbDDR Intel P4 2.4ghz 533fsb ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>
January 14, 2004 1:56:49 PM

No, getting faster RAM won't do a thing. Even if the board will run the RAM and FSB asynchronously, it isn't the best solution. The ONLY way faster RAM will be of any use is if you overclock the FSB.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
January 14, 2004 2:05:00 PM

Quote:
That quad pumped thing stinks... I am an AMD guy, and I know squat about the Intel chips... When I see 400fsb, I think WOW... but really 100fsb!

AMD does the same thing... only difference is their bus is DDR instead of QDR. So when they advertise 400MHz FSB for Athlon XP, it's actually 200MHz.

January 14, 2004 4:34:10 PM

At this point, my question is whether there will be a noticable difference swaping the 512 MB of PC2100 for 512 MB of PC133.

Later, when I talk them into replacing the celeron with a better cpu, the PC2100 ram can go back in. What does a non-crappy 2.0 GHz Intel P4 cpu that will drob into that motherboard cost?

January 15, 2004 3:17:00 PM

For a Celeron, the difference between DDR RAM and PC-133 RAM would be negligible. The Celeron just can't make use of the extra bandwidth.

January 16, 2004 1:11:04 AM

A "non crappy" P4 will only run as fast as his current chip, and cost as much as an xp chip and board. Swapping her mobo, chip, ram and case is the best option.
!