Brother HL2170W Networking Issues

Overcklockalypse

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I was doing a project for school in which I changed some settings on my router. Namely switching between unencrypted, WEP, WPA. After the lab I reset my router erasing all changes, however, my printer was still set up using those settings.

I am now having trouble reconnecting my printer to the router. I've tried every method my printers instructions say. I can see my printers network settings by printing them out and I can re-set the network settings with a button on the back, but I have no idea how to change the IP address from an APIPA address to one in my network. I also have no idea how to re-authenticate this printer to my wireless router.

Is there any foolproof way I can use to do this instead of using the crappy software that comes with the printer? I would assume I could use the printer's MAC address or node name or something of the sort to authenticate it and then change the IP of my computer to an APIPA address and telnet into the printer and change the IP settings.

Am I on the right track? Please someone help!

G

I think I would actually use the crappy software. See if there's an option to reset to factory defaults and start from there. Disable router's wireless security and Access List (admit/exclude by MAC ID option) while setting up.