Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2004 6:50:20 PM

My budget is about $1000. Can go a little higher.

I have the following already. (above budget is in addition to the following)

Antec P160 Case
Antec True Power 480W Power Supply
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Keeping in mind the arrival of Prescott and other new technologies, should I wait? I can wait till March.
I am not a gamer. I just want a fast, stable PC for telecommuting (GUI stuff used), occassional game, home video editing, etc. I don't need the latest technology obviously. I have yet to see a single article that describes what is coming and more importantly WHEN. I suppose some of my components will be useless in the 2nd half.

Please suggest a system (with the remaining components) for me. Thanks.

More about : suggestions

January 13, 2004 9:42:37 PM

I would say at least wait till mid feb. By that time prescott will be out and there should be plenty of reviews to see if the prescott or Athlon 64 is the best. Then you can make your choice then. Also, new technologies may be released (pci-express).

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?
January 14, 2004 12:49:56 AM

What are you waiting with, and what are you waiting for? With that video card and any reasonable cpu ( barton or P4c) you can play all of the games coming out in /04. Just grab an LG dvd burner an xp 2500 an nvidia chipset mobo some ddr (pc3200 is good, but pc2700 will do) keyboard and mouse of choice, a samsung or viewsonic monitor ( I know everyone wants the lcd, but if you play any games involving relative motion, get a crt ) and a copy of windows 2K or XP. If you are an intel fanboy and dont mind the extra $80. or so, get a P4c 2.6 and an 865 chipset mobo and the pc3200.
Related resources
January 14, 2004 12:55:59 AM

i wouldn't worry about upgrading if you have at least a axp 2400+/P4 2.4ghz cpu. let's see what Microsoft is gonna do with it's future 64-bit OS, AND what Intel is gonna do with BTX and tejas, prescott. Right now, there is not enough people with 64bit cpu and no 64-bit OS, so that means new games like Half-Life2 and DoomIII will unlikely be written for 64-bit.

<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 27,654</b></font color=red> :smile:
<b><font color=blue>Intel P4 2.4ghz ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>
January 14, 2004 10:41:50 AM

Kanavit, what the hell your smoking ?
Half life2 UT2004 Doom3 will all have 64 bit patches when Windows64 comes out !
And they will not suport Hyper Treading (dont worry, Sysoft Sandra suports it !)
Buy an A64 3000+ it kicks the p4 3.2GHz ass ! and is much cheaper, and you got extra performence 20-30% when Windows64 comes out(in 32 bit its also faster then P4 !)
Read some reviews but not on this site, they are intel bias, reading them you will think P4 is better then AMD64, and that aint true !
January 14, 2004 1:17:53 PM

LOL
64-bit patch, good try. maybe if they re-write the entire source code.

Doom3 is gonna use hyperthreading, because John Carmack loves Intel and Nvidia.

-------
<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 28,208</b></font color=red> :smile:
<font color=blue><b>512mbDDR | Intel P4 2.4ghz 533fsb | ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>
January 14, 2004 1:24:22 PM

Do you need a good monitor (or 2) in that budget? Keyboard, mouse, etc.

If you're happy to wait until march, then you may as well do so - it's always best to wait as long as you're comfortable doing, as new stuff comes out, existing stuff falls in price <i>and</i> gets improvements/bug fixes.

As for the argument over Half-life/DoomIII:
You say you're not a gamer, so you can safely ignore such bickering... besides, 64-bit or not will make very little difference to HL2/DoomIII anyway, as they'll be much more GPU dependant than CPU, like all 3d games these days.

<b>Coop:</b>
You are allowed to make a post which doesn't accuse THG of being Intel Biased you know... Whether they are or aren't is completely irrelevant here.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:
January 14, 2004 2:22:33 PM

I have to agree with Kanavit, there has been zero talk about 64bit engine development from Carmack. As for Valve they are having trouble getting a 32bit engine out the door let alone a 64bit build of the engine.

As for the Unreal engine it has 64 bit extensions. Its not a 100% 64bit build its simple a recoding to allow the engine to access the 64bit registers on the A64/Opteron line. With a average boost of 3%-7% from the extra coding. Nothing spectacular but it’s very nice to see a developer stand behind AMD and their technological innovations.

As for 64bit windows adding 20%-30% you are a bit off on that one. The environment won’t be noticeably faster in native 64bit mode vs. native 32bit mode. But it will be able to access more memory and have access to the additional registers for more threads.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.
January 14, 2004 4:18:00 PM

LoL thats the funniest pre-made-user-dreaming-up-stuff-to-impress-other-e-penis-users I have ever seen, Good show guy.

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.
January 14, 2004 7:10:42 PM

This you wont believe ? and what Tom is reviewing you do believe ?
January 15, 2004 3:03:22 AM

Where is big mouth Gabe on this why isnt this all over the official sites "64bit revolution has started you sheep get ready for HALFLIFE2 64BIT SUPERMOTHERFUCKING EDITION".

-taitertot

January 15, 2004 3:53:42 AM

lol , i'm boycotting HL2 until Gabe can loose 200lbs.

-------
<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 28,208</b></font color=red> :smile:
<font color=blue><b>512mbDDR | Intel P4 2.4ghz 533fsb | ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>
January 15, 2004 12:26:29 PM

Yeye I wit ya...

-taitertot

!