Deciding between IPS and TN.

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Right now I am thinking about getting an ASUS VH242H (because it's the highest rated monitor on newegg) or a Dell U2211H (because it's the cheapest IPS monitor out there). I do a little bit of gaming and a lot of reading. I was wondering if the difference between the two monitors would be that great. I've been able to find the Dell for $225 elsewhere and wanted to know if the $45 difference would be noticeable.

Thanks

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
i heard ips monitors are not very good for gaming although i do not owe one...
ips is a bit too much for reading too... a tn panel will do just fine...
tn panels are more for gamers while ips panels are best for video editing/photography and anything were display of colors is most important...
gamers care more about responsiveness and ips panels usually lack in that

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
The only reason I am thinking of IPS is because I heard they look THAT much more beautiful. I think I'll go ASUS, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

If the price difference is only 45, get the better monitor. Event an extra 100 will be worth it.

I replaced a TN screen not long ago, and it felt like I upgraded my whole system. Games, movies, view angle, all were amazing looking. Especially game colors, they were so vivid playing a colorful game like WoW, it felt like I upped my graphic settings just by changing the monitor. The monitor was $600, and was worth it to me, but I also think it had a higher end pannel than what you are looking at.

almasy92

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
tn - 6bit colour
IPS - 8 bit colour

IPS - you can make out hiding enemies easier. due to higher image quality
TN - enemies blur into dark environments and similar coloured areas to them (desert camo in desert, blur into it, for IPS they stay sharp)

IPS - (for the dell ultrasharp series at least) low input lag (usually 10-20 ms)
TN - massively variable input lag (between 10 and 60ms)

IPS - usually less fatigueing on the eyes (due to H-FRC on TN panels...if you're epileptic then TN panels can in extreme circumstances set off a seizure)

TN - lower response time of pixels (but what use is slightly faster (almost not noticeably different) pixel response if the input lag is an extra 40ms?)

TN is for either people who don't care, who can't afford, or are just too tight to purchase an IPS panel.

Unless you're considering a 120HZ TN panel in which case the extra 60HZ and almost exclusive <20ms input lag then makes the decision (for gaming) between sharper character models on IPS or the extra fludity of the 120hz TN...and that would really depend on the person entirely on which would benefit them best in gameplay (IPS still wins everywhere else though).

I think reading text on a 21.5" 1920 x 1080 monitor may cause eye strain over time since that's a somewhat high resolution on a small screen. However, if you are used to using a laptop, then you should be fine. Generally, reading text on a TN or IPS monitor shouldn't make much of a difference.

The strong point of IPS over TN is generally better color accuracy, wider viewing angles and less color shift. The U2311h (and U2211h) are pre-calibrated so color accuracy is actually pretty good right out of the box. Most monitors are not pre-calibrated.

I would order the U2311h directly from Dell, which is currently on sale for $279. I don't know when the sale ends.... That's $1 cheaper than the U2211h from Newegg.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

It's the other way around. TN panel generally have lower input lag, than IPS panels.

Extremely low probability (virtually non-existent I would think). The last report I've read about playing games which caused an epileptic seizure was with Nintendo games with lots of flashing lights on the screen. That caused enough children to go into epileptic seizure that games now has that warning in the manual.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

So if one has two 24" monitors costing $400, one TN panel and the other IPS, you would expect them to perform with equal quality in this kind of scenario (reading web pages with lots of text or text documents, source code etc)? Ie. both should be high quality screens with no color bleed (black text having red shadows etc), backlight bleed or brightness variance over the screen etc?

Just wondering what's the benefit of higher cost TN screens, like the Philips 240P2ES - just the integrated speakers offering convenience to the business/desktop user - don't think that screen is designed with primarily gamers in mind?

Honestly, even for just text, IPS panels look noticeably better to me. The most obvious difference is the viewing angle, but the overall image quality is better. It's not as significant as for pictures/movies, but I'd still go for IPS if possible (VA is pretty good too).

That having been said, text is definitely the area where you'd see the least benefit from an IPS panel.

mw3elite

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

whoever told u that doesent kno wat hes talkin about tn is terrible has bad viewing angle terrible colors cuz of its bad lighting u have to be sitting in the center and looking there

ips is amazing for gaming

Just a couple notes to add to the consideration.

Who cares about viewing angles when using a monitor? You sit directly in front of the screen regardless. This isn't a TV where multiple people are sitting from all sorts of angles.

Color accuracy is also not so important with gaming. You can run programs to help calibrate to be close, but unless you are doing graphic art, can you tell if something is a miniscule off? You aren't comparing it to anything and you'll never know.

Looking crisp is a real advantage to an IPS screen. You will notice a difference in gaming.

120hz is a real advantage with a TN screen (if you get a 120hz TN), as it makes things smoother, and for me, eliminates motion sickness that I get with FPS/hz below 80.

A 1080p resolution also takes less GPU power to run, but to get 120 fps/hz gaming would require about the same GPU power or more than the IPS screen.

120hz gaming usually includes 3D gaming, which many are surprised to learn is really awesome (surprised because of all the people who parrot that it's a gimmick with no 3D gaming experience).

There are reasons to go either way, but if you are comparing 1080p 60hz TN to a 1440p 60hz IPS screen, there is little reason not to get the IPS screen, just make sure it's got low latency. Latency causes me to get simulator sickness, for me that is nausea, others get headaches or eye strain.

jeffredo

Distinguished

You resurrected a year and a half old thread. I doubt the person you're replying to will ever see it.

TRENDING THREADS