I don't mean to be jingoistic, but ...

I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
support engineers?

your local computer store

"Ike Silex" <ikesilex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
> rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
> circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
> second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
> computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
> support engineers?

Ike Silex <ikesilex@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
>rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
>circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
>second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
>computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
>support engineers?

If you're going Dell or other major computer house, deal with the
business side of the company, and order the "Gold Support
Contract" or whatever name they use for their premium support
program. TANSTAAFL..
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Ike Silex <ikesilex@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<4ca5b095t535lb90ii4suuu6s8fo4is2eu@4ax.com>...
> I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
> rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
> circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
> second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
> computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
> support engineers?

Talk to MPC.com. They are the company formerly known as Micron PC,
located in Nampa, Idaho. I have a Micron PC on my desk at work, and
have almost never had any problems.

Dell is also a good option. On more than one occaision, when I had
some technical issues (Dell M782P monitor, which came with my
Dimension 4500 at home), I talked to support techs in Texas, and
Customer care in Texas & Pocatello, Idaho

kleavster

Nope..He speaks Korean

"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> your local computer store
>

> "Ike Silex" <ikesilex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
> > rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
> > circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
> > second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
> > computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
> > support engineers?

Do you suppose she could ask you to call tech support?

Perhaps the two of you would find it easier to deal with a computer
manufacturer that has competent white people as tech support engineers.

Rocky

"Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

> Do you suppose she could ask you to call tech support?
>
> Perhaps the two of you would find it easier to deal with a computer
> manufacturer that has competent white people as tech support engineers.

"White people?"

Larry

....for example...

Rocky

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:
> >
> > Do you suppose she could ask you to call tech support?
> >
> > Perhaps the two of you would find it easier to deal with a computer
> > manufacturer that has competent white people as tech support engineers.
>
> "White people?"
>
> Larry

grafton

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

Ike Silex <ikesilex@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to buy my wife a computer, and I know that she would have a
> rather difficult time dealing with tech support, under the best of
> circumstances. However, dealing with a person who speaks English as a
> second language would be very difficult indeed. Does anyone know of a
> computer manufacturer that has competent English speakers as tech
> support engineers?

Yeah. Check out MicronPC.

My wife's employer has a large contract with MicronPC. They use
"cracker" jack tech support.

She had the MIMAIL virus on her system. The Micron support person
had her download Seagate diagnostics. She found bad sectors but
still had a slush computer. That ate a week of her time.

Then he sent her HERE:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Take a look. You'll see that even a techie would have a hard time
dealing with the instructions. For example, rawrite doesn't work
with the NT kernel. Funny solution for onsite support contract
with a very large University and an XP Pro operating system.

She eventually gave up on Micron tech support. I'm sure this is
calculated on some level (even a subconcious one). She called me.
Total time for fix: 15 minutes. Cost: heh heh.

Tech support are a bunch of idiots regardless of which language is
learned first. Micron is horrible. Gateway is horrible. Dell is
horrible. IBM pays disadvantaged people to read scripts from the
same web page I'm reading. That was a lesson in surrealism.

The best solution is the learn some computer basics or have a blood
relative who is a good hobbyist. Failing that, you're just taking
chances.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> "You know, "White Men Can't Jump".
>
> Very good...clever...very good!
>
> Rocky

<snip>

After 12 years. (1992)

Stew

> My "hot button" (not the one my wife knows about) is posters, like the OP,
> who try to pretend they're not xenophobic.

my "hot button" is brainless squirrels like you that pretend they have a
brain and pretend they can read the minds of other posters.