Best Gaming Mouse?

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
After just ordering my system, I am now starting to look at peripherals, starting with a gaming mouse. I will be playing a wide variety of games, probably a lot of FPS, and then Diablo 3 when it comes out. I don’t really know what I like as I’ve just been using a cheap 2 button/scroll wheel optical mouse for years. I’m not too concerned with price, but figured my mouse needs an upgrade to match my new system.

What are some mice worth looking into?

Thanks

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

What's the latest opinions on wired versus wireless? Is the performance of wireless up to par with wired? Wireless would be my preference. What kind of recharging options are there? Is there such a thing as a docking station for the mouse that recharges it? I've also read that there are some mice that can run wireless or wired..... are those any good?

Thanks

some people might try to convince you that there is a slight delay (lag) when using a wireless mouse for gaming. this is not true as long as you buy a quality product. as for a recharging station, most desktop models feature a charging base and a non-replacable battery. keep in mind that this battery WILL start to have issues once it gets to be 4-5 years old.

i have owned a logitech (mx1000 laser) for 5 years, and whenever it comes down to wireless i will always recommend them as #1. i've heard good things about the razer (and most big-brands) as well. the logitech's battery started acting up (full battery bar, dies suddenly) so i went out and bought the product i previously recommended. also keep in mind that there is a charging time on such products so if you forget to charge it you will be stuck using a "spare" mouse!

i haven't used any of the mice that can go wired or wireless. i would have to guess that they would be comparable to the company's traditional offerings. this would aleviate the need for a spare mouse perhaps.

----

unless you plan on using your mouse and keyboard away from your desk, or you really hate cables (and have a wireless keyboard also) i find it hard to recommend a wireless solution over wired. the cables on most modern devices are more than long enough as to not cause any problems. a wired mouse should also last you longer (no battery to die on you) and will set you back less money.

as always, choose what works best for you. just think of the pros and cons before you buy.

addition:
(cant edit at this pc)

between my last wireless mouse (logitech mx1000 laser) and my current wired mouse (razer deathadder) i have noticed no difference in response times. the only difference between the two in terms of playstyle is that a wireless mouse will shut off after a few seconds of non-movement causing a slight delay while it activates upon your next move. the solution to this is to keep the mouse moving. some may think this is irritating but you get used to it and it caused me no bother for 5 years.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Logitech makes better lasers than Phillips. Any mouse with a 5600 DPI laser is using the Phillips Twin Eye laser which is not very good. Not very accurate at high DPI and a lot of movement when lifting the mouse.

The Logitech 5700 DPI laser has none of those problems.

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

So Logitech are basically my only option since the high end Razer and Cyborg/Mad Catz use the 5600dpi laser......?

G700?

you will get significant mouse movement on screen if you lift a laser mouse even a little, even with logitech products. laser mice are not meant to be picked up and moved around like optical mice can be. i got used to it after awhile but this is not always the case (many hate it!). if this is an issue then you might not want to look at laser products.

i have never... and i repeat never used the laser mouse on such high dpi settings. 3500-4000 is more than enough. even for headshots in fps games i never went above 4000 (movement gets too jumpy with ANY hand jittering.) even the most basic optical mouse can be used when gaming (i've done it!) albiet with settings tweaked.

-----

the g700 should work fine if you are ok with it being a laser mouse (see above) and you are ok with the general size/layout/shape of the mouse. as it is a higher-tier logitech product, wireless performance should be excellent with no lag. i haven't reviewed this model myself so i'm just basing it on my past logitech product experience.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I personally use maxed out 5700 DPI on my G500. The wired version of the G700, a very good mouse and the laser is much more accurate than the Razer Imperator I used for 2 weeks before getting fed up with it.

At 5600 DPI you hand would barely move for pixel accuracy but the Imperator just didn't respond. At those DPI levels while the G500 did. At those DPI levels I hardly need to lift my mouse, only when making 360 degree turns