STTNG problem

Ball goes into the hole up top (lock shot), on occasion, it doesn't
come out, even after a ball search, and then it goes into bonus
contdown (I lose my ball). It ONLY happens when it goes in the top hole
(so I don't think it's a trough issue). Think it's the optos that read
the ball going into the hole?

Take out all the balls and put the game in switch edge test and send a
ball down the hole. See if all the switches register.

Jeff

Levi, I had a simliar problem on the "start Mission" hole. I looked
under the playfield ramp and found that it was a bit cracked... I glued
it up and added some clear tape and now it works fine. It could be
mechanical thing on that hole? Same kind of obstruction on the hole???

Duke

ldnayman wrote:
> Ball goes into the hole up top (lock shot), on occasion, it doesn't
> come out, even after a ball search, and then it goes into bonus
> contdown (I lose my ball). It ONLY happens when it goes in the top hole
> (so I don't think it's a trough issue). Think it's the optos that read
> the ball going into the hole?

As others suggested, make sure your target and opto switches are
working correctly. But also, check to see if the ball is just getting
hung up in the subway somewhere. Sometimes I've seen the diverter arms
come loose and trap balls, the smaller diverter in particular.

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

In article <1123208805.124520.186840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote:

> Ball goes into the hole up top (lock shot), on occasion, it doesn't
> come out, even after a ball search, and then it goes into bonus
> contdown (I lose my ball). It ONLY happens when it goes in the top hole
> (so I don't think it's a trough issue). Think it's the optos that read
> the ball going into the hole?

It also might be that it isn't registering the target as dropping.
Switch test is your friend.

Cheers
MacMan

MacMan wrote:
> In article <1123208805.124520.186840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote:

> It also might be that it isn't registering the target as dropping.
> Switch test is your friend.
>
> Cheers
> MacMan

No that aint it. Target scores fine- you will lock the ball, it goes
into "Magnify!" then the ball is lost and game goes to bonus. It's
intermittent so I don't know if switch test will help much. I'm going
to go in there and look around some more.

Adi

It seems, based on your description... One (or more) of the optos on the
ramp underneath the playfield is intermittent, not recognizing the ball is
passing. Most likely needs some cleaning with a q tip and rubbing alcohol,
or it's got a crack on the solder and it's intermittent. STTNG playfield
does shake and vibrate more than other machines. That ramp is a biatch to
take off, disassemble, clean and put back on. I always procrastinate on that
task. Best of luck.

Adi
www.txpinball.com