Applying Windows Update Patches

I downloaded updates for XP in order to reinstall after a clean
installation of XP on a new harddisk however, when I click any of the
updates, I get the message: "Setup did not find the update.inf file needed
to update your system".
Question is: Do I need to download an update.inf file separately or is it
only possible to update windows online?

My antivirus is updated but it doesn't matter even if I turn it off whilst
trying to apply my patches, I still get the same "stopping message".

thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about applying windows update patches

    sammy wrote:
    > I downloaded updates for XP in order to reinstall after a
    > clean installation of XP on a new harddisk however, when I
    > click any of the updates, I get the message: "Setup did not
    > find the update.inf file needed to update your system".
    > Question is: Do I need to download an update.inf file
    > separately or is it only possible to update windows online?
    >
    > My antivirus is updated but it doesn't matter even if I turn
    > it off whilst trying to apply my patches, I still get the
    > same "stopping message".
    >
    > thanks

    I've seen that error message displayed when people try to
    install updates saved from this folder,
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution. It won't work.

    Where did you go to download these updates? The only legitimate
    source of individual Windows updates is here:

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    Here's an article with more info:

    How to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update
    Catalog or from the Microsoft Update Catalog
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323166

    If your AV and firewall programs are installed and updated, you
    should run Windows Update and install all the critical updates
    and patches that are needed on your system.

    Nepatsfan

Windows Update Windows XP