Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Now I just wanted to get the current roadmaps straight, from what we know right now... You guys help me out here? :smile: Here we go...

<b><font color=blue>Intel:</b> February, the 2st (Monday): Prescott officially launched. Clock speeds 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4Ghz. Pentium Extreme Edition at 3.4Ghz and for US$999.</font color=blue>

<b><font color=blue>Intel:</b> February, the 16th (Monday): IDF starts. Price reduction for current Northwoods.</font color=blue>

<b><font color=green>AMD:</b> March, the 29th (Monday): AMD launches socket 939 officially. To go with it, we'll be seeing an Athlon FX-53 clocked at 2.4Ghz and featuring 1MB cache. In addition to that, we should have an A64 3400+ and 3700+ too.</font color=green>

<b><font color=blue>Intel</b>: March, the 29th: (Monday) Intel launches Grantsdale and Alderwood. These new chipsets should change the desktop scenario quite a lot with the introduction of mainstream PCI Express and DDR-II; DDR-II can go as high as 533Mhz (8.5GB/s in dual channel configuration) or 667Mhz (10.7GB/s in dual channel configuration). DDR-II at 533Mhz has already been validated and is ready for production.</font color=blue>

I think this is all we've got on exact dates. The last addition, March, the 29th, for Intel's Grantsdale and Alderwood, is a date from <A HREF="http://www.x86-secret.com" target="_new">http://www.x86-secret.com</A>.

Also, I think AMD's FX-53 is coming a little late... But that will only be a problem for them if Prescott turns out to be a great processor and is better than Northwood. They might not be able to introduce anything better than that FX-53 until 90nm... Or so I've read.

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Wasn't Grantsdale supposed to be launched in the 1st quarter?... April is 2nd quarter... So hopefully, if the damned thing doesn't get delayed, we'll still be seeing grantsdale by march or so! :cool:

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
I'm very surprised at AMD's timely schedule these days. It seems they are keeping on-time releases, and no delays. the early release of the A64 3400+, A64 3000+ is good indicator that socket 939 90nm A64 Dual channel is on the way. While Intel is faced with delays very uncharacteristic. This is quite interesting. Lets see who will win, but Intel has a very strong lineup ready.

-------
<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 28,208</b></font color=red> :smile:
<font color=blue><b>512mbDDR | Intel P4 2.4ghz 533fsb | ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I'm very surprised at AMD's timely schedule these days.
If you ignore the fact that x86-64 came a little over a year later than originally planned, that is... :smile:
is good indicator that socket 939 90nm A64 Dual channel is on the way.
That could be. It better be, anyway, because Intel is introducing a 90nm processor within a few weeks! And AMD probably won't get any processor above 2.4Ghz out with its current technology, as far as I know...
While Intel is faced with delays very uncharacteristic. This is quite interesting. Lets see who will win, but Intel has a very strong lineup ready.
That is right... Intel's current "C" line is still very strong! Sure, A64s look good right now, but if Prescott comes along at 2.8, 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4Ghz and is indeed 10% faster per clock, then Intel will have a processor lineup that is probably fit to compete with A64... If Intel plays its cards well enough (and doesn't take too long to introduce its own 64-bit technology... so people don't fall in love too much with AMD...) then they won't even lose face...

If, on the other hand, Prescott is not that great an improvement over the current Northwood and grantsdale can't come to the rescue in late 1st quarter 2004, then Intel will have a problem...

Interesting times, that's for sure! :smile:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
<i>And</i> speeds up the rate at which newer, faster tech gets released.. :smile:

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
According to x86secret Grantsdale-P, Grantsdale-G <i>mais aussi</i> Alderwood will be released on March 29th.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Thanks, sjonnie, for that info. I've been to x86-secret, but I missed that piece of information.

I wonder if DDR-II will represent a big leap forward?... Sure, it will enable faster speeds, probably 533Mhz, right from the start... but will it be that much better?... It'll be interesting to watch...

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
In reguards to the Grantsdale chipset. Will the chipset be released in March or whatever? Or will motherboards with the chipset be released in March or whatever?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I'm very surprised at AMD's timely schedule these days. It seems they are keeping on-time releases, and no delays. the early release of the A64 3400+, A64 3000+ is good indicator that socket 939 90nm A64 Dual channel is on the way. While Intel is faced with delays very uncharacteristic. This is quite interesting. Lets see who will win, but Intel has a very strong lineup ready.
I'd say it's because on AMD's new processors the renovation is more cache and x86-64 while Intel is moving to 90nm which is a whole new process. Also, you'll see that Intel has so much more transistors than AMD. AMD will also have to make the transition to 90nm, and soon since it's 130nm is near it's limit.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

taitertot

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Hey its juin our local frenchmen :smile:

-taitertot

If this post has attitude, seems to be overly aggressive, rude, distasteful to 99% of the users here, and shows a zealous defense of Intel... It’s probably Spud.