Deleting registry subkeys and values

Hi -

I have read about backing up and editing the registry. I'm running XP Home
Edition. I have a couple of questions:

Can I delete subkeys and values pertaining to Domains and addresses from
the registry in all trees under ......Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
Version\Internet Settings.... without affecting the normal functioning of my
PC?

Why are these domains and addresses saved in the registry, and what are the
consequences of deleting them?

Any help would be appreciated

Clint B2
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting registry subkeys values

    Clint B2 wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I have read about backing up and editing the registry. I'm
    > running XP Home Edition. I have a couple of questions:
    >
    > Can I delete subkeys and values pertaining to Domains and
    > addresses from the registry in all trees under
    > ......Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet
    > Settings.... without affecting the normal functioning of my
    > PC?
    >
    > Why are these domains and addresses saved in the registry,
    > and what are the consequences of deleting them?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > Clint B2

    Do you have Spyware Blaster, Spybot S & D or another
    anti-spyware program installed on your computer? If so, then
    those entries you see in the registry were probably put there
    by that program to prevent your computer from accessing those
    web sites. Try this, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet
    Options. Click on the Security tab. Click on Restricted Sites.
    Hit the Sites button. In the box that pops up you should see
    all the sites that are listed in the Zone Map registry key.

    If you were to export that registry key and then delete it from
    the registry, I think you'll find that you will have turned off
    the immunization feature of your anti-spyware program.

    Nepatsfan

    Hi - Thanks. The sites listed as restricted under Internet Settings in
    Control panel do correspond to those in the registry under ....Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

    I am running Spybot S&D on this computer, so that's probably the reason.
    Cheers.

    There are a lot of important registry key and also there are a lot of keys
    which you can delete. But Internet Settings folder is important for
    Messenger, Internet Explorer and OE.

    --
    Cankat Akdemir
    Author of "Windows XP Secrets"

    "Clint B2" <Clint B2@discussions.microsoft.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    yazdý:08FD0993-CB16-4509-9696-F49146EBF6E6@microsoft.com...
    > Hi -
    >
    > I have read about backing up and editing the registry. I'm running XP Home
    > Edition. I have a couple of questions:
    >
    > Can I delete subkeys and values pertaining to Domains and addresses from
    > the registry in all trees under ......Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    > Version\Internet Settings.... without affecting the normal functioning of
    > my
    > PC?
    >
    > Why are these domains and addresses saved in the registry, and what are
    > the
    > consequences of deleting them?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > Clint B2