Dell Power Supply

Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
least a 300W power supply. I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage the 8300
ships with? Thanks.

That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
> Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
> least a 300W power supply. I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to
find
> any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage the
8300
> ships with? Thanks.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...

>Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.

So said information may or may not be accurate?

=====
It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.
=====

I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
Dimension 8300 is here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm

'If you teach a man to fish...'
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.
>
> For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
> so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...
>

> >Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.
>
> So said information may or may not be accurate?
>
> =====
> It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
> and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
> It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.
> =====

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
>available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
>Dimension 8300 is here:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
>
>'If you teach a man to fish...'

Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

----
Time for some thrillin' heroics.
----

Clone power supplies have a long history of not providing
wattage as claimed. Many are so poorly constructed as to self
destruct when tested:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/index.html

But then they are not selling to engineers in Dell. They
are selling to bean counters who only look at one numerical
spec - price. Clone system power supplies are often missing
many essential functions that, for example, keep power supply
from destroying motherboard, disk drive, and RAM.

Often a 200 or 230 watt power supply in a real computer
system is equivalent to the 300+ watt supply sold to clone
assemblers.

Then it gets even more interesting:
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power/default.asp

A minimally acceptable power supply will provide a long list
of industry required specs that it conforms to. Too many
clone system supplies don't have these functions - therefore
will not provide this list. A abridged example of those
numbers that inferior supplies cannot meet:
Specification compliance: ATX 2.03 & ATX12V v1.1
Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
Short circuit protection on all outputs
Over voltage protection
Over power protection
100% hi-pot test
100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: >65%
Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Ripple/noise: 1%
MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: >100k hrs

Is Dell supply sufficiently sized for the video card? That
is information that a 3.5 digit mulitmeter - essential test
equipment - could provide.

"Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>> That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.
>
> For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
> so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...
>
>> Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies
>> conservatively.
>
> So said information may or may not be accurate?

"Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>>That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

>For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
>so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...

>>Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.

>So said information may or may not be accurate?

Not exactly. Nor are video card manufacturers totally innocent
of *over*-stating the power requirements for their video cards.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people here, when asked
that question whether or not Dell's 2xxx/4xxx/8xxx power supply
is up to the requirement stated by some video card maker [it
seems *always* to be a video card maker], have answered with a
list of the tons of stuff, including the video card in question,
that have been running happily on their Dell with its 250W-rated
power supply. Ergo, Dell /rates/ their power supplies
conservatively, which is not an inaccuracy, but a term of the
engineering art that a real engineer would understand.

>It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
>and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
>It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.

Putting full faith and credit into copy put out by computer
accessory manufacturers is something even a Celestial Engineer
should shy away from.
--
OJ III

Glad to help. How I wished that people would have shown me how to find the
answers to my questions. I would have climbed the learning curve so much
faster.
--

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
> >available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
> >Dimension 8300 is here:
> >
> >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
> >
> >'If you teach a man to fish...'
>
> Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
>
> ----
> Time for some thrillin' heroics.
> ----

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message news:10i1hkbnbfc9033@corp.supernews.com...
> Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
> least a 300W power supply.

Many graphics board vendors will say something like "we recommend a
300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation
where a number of other internal devices are installed". What they are
actually claiming is that systems with a 300 watt PS are *likely* to have
enough spare capacity to drive their board. You should be aware of the
following...

First of all, just because a system has a 300 watt PS doesn't mean it
will have enough spare capacity, or for that matter, any spare capacity.
Even if it did when shipped, it might no longer due to user upgrades
and additions. Secondly, the PS wattage number doesn't tell the full
story WRT maximums that shouldn't be exceeded. Thirdly, PS ratings
are not always accurate.

I haven't checked it, but the early pages of this look educational:
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133&p=1

There are numerous PS reviews online, but here is one page from one:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-09.html

You can back up and read the whole article, but I'm including it because
it has a picture of the label on a Zalman PS and said illustrates that one
should consider the maximums allowed on individual outputs as well as
the combined maximums on sets of outputs.

> I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
> any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage
> the 8300 ships with? Thanks.

A quick look at the 8300 manual suggests the systems may be equipped
with a 250W or 305W PS, but that is all I see. It would be wise to have
a look at the PS itself and confirm the wattage. At which point you could
go by rules of thumb and other peoples' experiences adjusted for changes
to your system. Or if you can find proper documentation on the PS and
come up with numbers for your current & planned components, run some
calculations to see if you'll be within maximums.

And to make sure that credit goes where it's due, the Ted who provided the
great information below on power ratings is another Ted, not me.
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
> > Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
> > least a 300W power supply.
>
> Many graphics board vendors will say something like "we recommend a
> 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation
> where a number of other internal devices are installed". What they are
> actually claiming is that systems with a 300 watt PS are *likely* to have
> enough spare capacity to drive their board. You should be aware of the
> following...
>
> First of all, just because a system has a 300 watt PS doesn't mean it
> will have enough spare capacity, or for that matter, any spare capacity.
> Even if it did when shipped, it might no longer due to user upgrades
> and additions. Secondly, the PS wattage number doesn't tell the full
> story WRT maximums that shouldn't be exceeded. Thirdly, PS ratings
> are not always accurate.
>
> I haven't checked it, but the early pages of this look educational:
> http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133&p=1
>
> There are numerous PS reviews online, but here is one page from one:
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-09.html
>
> You can back up and read the whole article, but I'm including it because
> it has a picture of the label on a Zalman PS and said illustrates that one
> should consider the maximums allowed on individual outputs as well as
> the combined maximums on sets of outputs.
>
> > I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
> > any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage
> > the 8300 ships with? Thanks.
>
> A quick look at the 8300 manual suggests the systems may be equipped
> with a 250W or 305W PS, but that is all I see. It would be wise to have
> a look at the PS itself and confirm the wattage. At which point you could
> go by rules of thumb and other peoples' experiences adjusted for changes
> to your system. Or if you can find proper documentation on the PS and
> come up with numbers for your current & planned components, run some
> calculations to see if you'll be within maximums.

So what IS the wattage rating, anyway? ... Ben Myers

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:16:13 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>Glad to help. How I wished that people would have shown me how to find the
>answers to my questions. I would have climbed the learning curve so much
>faster.
>--
>Ted Zieglar
>formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
>

>"Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
>> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
>> >available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
>> >Dimension 8300 is here:
>> >
>> >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
>> >
>> >'If you teach a man to fish...'
>>
>> Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
>>
>> ----
>> Time for some thrillin' heroics.
>> ----

I have a 8300 (3.2 Gig) also. It is only a few months old. 250W original
power supply. I installed, 1x WD360, 2x WD 120 Gig, DVDRom, DVD+R, Floppy,
extra Lan, SB Audigy2 ZS, and a 9800XT. Everything works 100% bulletproof.

harrie

"trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> schreef in bericht
> Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
> least a 300W power supply. I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to
find
> any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage the
8300
> ships with? Thanks.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci2g5k.psb.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...

> Dell 8300 P4 3 GHz PC3200
> 14a/22a/10a (12a peak), max continuous 200w, +5 & +3.3 135w
> Low system battery warning during boot w/FX 5700LE, but worked fine

Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci2g5k.psb.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
>
>> Dell 8300 P4 3 GHz PC3200
>> 14a/22a/10a (12a peak), max continuous 200w, +5 & +3.3 135w
>> Low system battery warning during boot w/FX 5700LE, but worked fine
>
> Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?

I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.

So why not replace the system battery? It's a cheap and readily available C2032
3v lithium battery... Ben Myers

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:04:21 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt)
wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci2g5k.psb.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
>>
>>> Dell 8300 P4 3 GHz PC3200
>>> 14a/22a/10a (12a peak), max continuous 200w, +5 & +3.3 135w
>>> Low system battery warning during boot w/FX 5700LE, but worked fine
>>
>> Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?
>
>I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
>be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
>be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
>its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
>machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
>a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.
>
>--
>David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci6ad5.pnk.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?
>
> I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
> be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
> be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
> its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
> machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
> a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.

Ah, well you probably realize where I was going with that. I was
curious whether it was related to the the increased PS loading. If
it permanently went away after you cut back on the load, that would
be interesting. FWIW, I do recall seeing similar reports in the Dell
forums. If memory serves me, suggestions included replacing the
battery and eliminating external surge protectors. I can't remember
the logic of the later approach, if there was any to begin with.

Well, a low battery warning is what it is. The battery is low on juice, even if
a voltmeter shows 3.0v. It could well be a weak 3.0v with not enough amps to
satisfy the motherboard... Ben Myers