Ping any MVP - XP Home Problem

I have a weird situation with XP Home edition; SP2 is NOT installed:

System:
XP Home on an eMachines T2742 (2.7 GHZ; 256 Mb RAM; 40 Gb HDD)

Problem:
Boots to Welcome screen and loops back to welcome screen when any of the
UserID buttons are clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del brings up the Classic login dialog
box, but still loops back to XP Style Welcome screen when attempting to log
in from the Classic dialog. Cannot circumvent the boot sequence, nor get
past the Welcome screen to get to any desktop functions in XP.

What I Tried:
F8 out of startup sequence to safe mode - same thing
F8 out of startup sequence to command prompt mode - same thing
F8 out of startup sequence to last known good config - same thing
F8 out of startup sequence to debug mode - same thing
F8 out of startup sequence to boot logging mode - same thing
Checked the CMOS settings for odd power or video settings - all default
settings appear correct.

Can anyone help with a solution please?

JL
8 answers Last reply
More about ping home problem

    Hi

    If none of those options allow you access to Windows, you can try a 'Repair'
    install of XP. Please have a look at the following article by Michael
    Stevens:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Jim Lake" <jimlake@easynews.com> wrote in message
    >I have a weird situation with XP Home edition; SP2 is NOT installed:
    >
    > System:
    > XP Home on an eMachines T2742 (2.7 GHZ; 256 Mb RAM; 40 Gb HDD)
    >
    > Problem:
    > Boots to Welcome screen and loops back to welcome screen when any of the
    > UserID buttons are clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del brings up the Classic login dialog
    > box, but still loops back to XP Style Welcome screen when attempting to
    > log
    > in from the Classic dialog. Cannot circumvent the boot sequence, nor get
    > past the Welcome screen to get to any desktop functions in XP.
    >
    > What I Tried:
    > F8 out of startup sequence to safe mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to command prompt mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to last known good config - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to debug mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to boot logging mode - same thing
    > Checked the CMOS settings for odd power or video settings - all default
    > settings appear correct.
    >
    > Can anyone help with a solution please?
    >
    > JL

    Does eMachines provide an XP CD so the OP can do a repair install?

    Alias

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote

    > Hi
    >
    > If none of those options allow you access to Windows, you can try a
    > 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the following article by
    > Michael Stevens:
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Jim Lake" <jimlake@easynews.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a weird situation with XP Home edition; SP2 is NOT installed:
    >>
    >> System:
    >> XP Home on an eMachines T2742 (2.7 GHZ; 256 Mb RAM; 40 Gb HDD)
    >>
    >> Problem:
    >> Boots to Welcome screen and loops back to welcome screen when any of the
    >> UserID buttons are clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del brings up the Classic login
    >> dialog
    >> box, but still loops back to XP Style Welcome screen when attempting to
    >> log
    >> in from the Classic dialog. Cannot circumvent the boot sequence, nor get
    >> past the Welcome screen to get to any desktop functions in XP.
    >>
    >> What I Tried:
    >> F8 out of startup sequence to safe mode - same thing
    >> F8 out of startup sequence to command prompt mode - same thing
    >> F8 out of startup sequence to last known good config - same thing
    >> F8 out of startup sequence to debug mode - same thing
    >> F8 out of startup sequence to boot logging mode - same thing
    >> Checked the CMOS settings for odd power or video settings - all default
    >> settings appear correct.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help with a solution please?
    >>
    >> JL

    Hi

    Some OEM CDs do have a 'Repair' option - if that's what the OP has.

    --

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Problem:
    > Boots to Welcome screen and loops back to welcome screen when any of the
    > UserID buttons are clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del brings up the Classic login dialog
    > box, but still loops back to XP Style Welcome screen when attempting to
    log
    > in from the Classic dialog. Cannot circumvent the boot sequence, nor get
    > past the Welcome screen to get to any desktop functions in XP.
    >
    > What I Tried:
    > F8 out of startup sequence to safe mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to command prompt mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to last known good config - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to debug mode - same thing
    > F8 out of startup sequence to boot logging mode - same thing
    > Checked the CMOS settings for odd power or video settings - all default

    This usually happens after some imaging operation, e.g. with Ghost,
    or when additional disks with WinXP on them are installed. It is
    caused by the system drive letter being incorrect, thus preventing
    WinXP from locating userinit.exe.

    The cure depends on your facilities. Is the machine networked?
    Do you have access to another WinXP desktop? See also here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

    "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    Thanks so much for your responses.

    The system has an OEM eMachines version of XP HOME with a three disk set
    and does not allow for a repair. The machine is not networked, I do have
    access to another XP desktop that is the PROFESSIONAL version across the
    street.

    In examining the autoexec.bat file I see that it is using ghost to do the
    re-imaging, and it issues a warning that all data will be lost.

    It's either a re-install or boot to the A: drive. When I boot to the A:
    drive I cannot see or change directories to the A: drive. I'll follow the
    links provided to see if there are any other avenues, or if you bright
    folks figure out anything that may be helpful it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks so much,

    JL

    "Lurker" <lurker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    > Thanks so much for your responses.
    >
    > The system has an OEM eMachines version of XP HOME with a three disk set
    > and does not allow for a repair. The machine is not networked, I do have
    > access to another XP desktop that is the PROFESSIONAL version across the
    > street.
    >
    > In examining the autoexec.bat file I see that it is using ghost to do the
    > re-imaging, and it issues a warning that all data will be lost.
    >
    > It's either a re-install or boot to the A: drive. When I boot to the A:
    > drive I cannot see or change directories to the A: drive. I'll follow the
    > links provided to see if there are any other avenues, or if you bright
    > folks figure out anything that may be helpful it would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > JL
    >

    > > "Jim Lake" <jimlake@easynews.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a weird situation with XP Home edition; SP2 is NOT installed:
    > >>
    > >> System:
    > >> XP Home on an eMachines T2742 (2.7 GHZ; 256 Mb RAM; 40 Gb HDD)
    > >>
    > >> Problem:
    > >> Boots to Welcome screen and loops back to welcome screen when any of
    > >> the UserID buttons are clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del brings up the Classic
    > >> login dialog box, but still loops back to XP Style Welcome screen
    > >> when attempting to
    > > log
    > >> in from the Classic dialog. Cannot circumvent the boot sequence, nor
    > >> get past the Welcome screen to get to any desktop functions in XP.
    > >>
    > >> What I Tried:
    > >> F8 out of startup sequence to safe mode - same thing
    > >> F8 out of startup sequence to command prompt mode - same thing
    > >> F8 out of startup sequence to last known good config - same thing
    > >> F8 out of startup sequence to debug mode - same thing
    > >> F8 out of startup sequence to boot logging mode - same thing
    > >> Checked the CMOS settings for odd power or video settings - all
    > >> default settings appear correct.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help with a solution please?
    > >>
    > >> JL
    > >
    > > This usually happens after some imaging operation, e.g. with Ghost,
    > > or when additional disks with WinXP on them are installed. It is
    > > caused by the system drive letter being incorrect, thus preventing
    > > WinXP from locating userinit.exe.
    > >
    > > The cure depends on your facilities. Is the machine networked?
    > > Do you have access to another WinXP desktop? See also here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

    I'm afraid this is going to be rough ride, as you will have to modify
    the registry without having the benefit of a graphical user interface.

    Boot your machine with a floppy boot disk from
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    then do this:

    1. Accept the suggested NT partition.
    2. Accept the full path to the registry directory.
    3. Type system when prompted
    4. Type 9 (for Registry Editor)
    5. Type ? (to see the available commands)
    6. Type ls (to see the current keys)
    7. Type cd MountedDevices (it's case-sensitive!)
    8. Type ls (to see the current values)
    9. Type dv \DosDevices\C:
    10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have deleted all values
    that look like this: \DosDevices\X: where X is any letter
    of the alphabet.
    11. Type q {Enter}, then q {Enter} again
    You will be prompted to save or discard your changes.

    I expect that this will fix your problem.

    > "Lurker" <lurker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    >> Thanks so much for your responses.
    >>
    >> The system has an OEM eMachines version of XP HOME with a three disk
    >> set and does not allow for a repair. The machine is not networked, I
    >> do have access to another XP desktop that is the PROFESSIONAL version
    >> across the street.
    >>
    >> In examining the autoexec.bat file I see that it is using ghost to do
    >> the re-imaging, and it issues a warning that all data will be lost.
    >>
    >> It's either a re-install or boot to the A: drive. When I boot to the
    >> A: drive I cannot see or change directories to the A: drive. I'll
    >> follow the links provided to see if there are any other avenues, or
    >> if you bright folks figure out anything that may be helpful it would
    >> be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much,
    >>
    >> JL
    >> >
    >> > This usually happens after some imaging operation, e.g. with Ghost,
    >> > or when additional disks with WinXP on them are installed. It is
    >> > caused by the system drive letter being incorrect, thus preventing
    >> > WinXP from locating userinit.exe.
    >> >
    >> > The cure depends on your facilities. Is the machine networked?
    >> > Do you have access to another WinXP desktop? See also here:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321
    >
    > I'm afraid this is going to be rough ride, as you will have to modify
    > the registry without having the benefit of a graphical user interface.
    >
    > Boot your machine with a floppy boot disk from
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    > then do this:
    >
    > 1. Accept the suggested NT partition.
    > 2. Accept the full path to the registry directory.
    > 3. Type system when prompted
    > 4. Type 9 (for Registry Editor)
    > 5. Type ? (to see the available commands)
    > 6. Type ls (to see the current keys)
    > 7. Type cd MountedDevices (it's case-sensitive!)
    > 8. Type ls (to see the current values)
    > 9. Type dv \DosDevices\C:
    > 10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have deleted all values
    > that look like this: \DosDevices\X: where X is any letter
    > of the alphabet.
    > 11. Type q {Enter}, then q {Enter} again
    > You will be prompted to save or discard your changes.
    >
    > I expect that this will fix your problem.

    Dude, thanks so much for your help. I'll give this a whirl this morning.
    I've been pounding it hard on a network where the users are disabling the
    firewall because it won't let them receive files from their buddies.
    Sometimes USER is really a four letter word!

    Thanks again to all who have responded with their helpful advice!

    JL

    > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    >

    > > "Lurker" <lurker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    > >> Thanks so much for your responses.
    > >>
    > >> The system has an OEM eMachines version of XP HOME with a three disk
    > >> set and does not allow for a repair. The machine is not networked, I
    > >> do have access to another XP desktop that is the PROFESSIONAL version
    > >> across the street.
    > >>
    > >> In examining the autoexec.bat file I see that it is using ghost to do
    > >> the re-imaging, and it issues a warning that all data will be lost.
    > >>
    > >> It's either a re-install or boot to the A: drive. When I boot to the
    > >> A: drive I cannot see or change directories to the A: drive. I'll
    > >> follow the links provided to see if there are any other avenues, or
    > >> if you bright folks figure out anything that may be helpful it would
    > >> be greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks so much,
    > >>
    > >> JL

    > > I'm afraid this is going to be rough ride, as you will have to modify
    > > the registry without having the benefit of a graphical user interface.
    > >
    > > Boot your machine with a floppy boot disk from
    > > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    > > then do this:
    > >
    > > 1. Accept the suggested NT partition.
    > > 2. Accept the full path to the registry directory.
    > > 3. Type system when prompted
    > > 4. Type 9 (for Registry Editor)
    > > 5. Type ? (to see the available commands)
    > > 6. Type ls (to see the current keys)
    > > 7. Type cd MountedDevices (it's case-sensitive!)
    > > 8. Type ls (to see the current values)
    > > 9. Type dv \DosDevices\C:
    > > 10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have deleted all values
    > > that look like this: \DosDevices\X: where X is any letter
    > > of the alphabet.
    > > 11. Type q {Enter}, then q {Enter} again
    > > You will be prompted to save or discard your changes.
    > >
    > > I expect that this will fix your problem.
    >
    > Dude, thanks so much for your help. I'll give this a whirl this morning.
    > I've been pounding it hard on a network where the users are disabling the
    > firewall because it won't let them receive files from their buddies.
    > Sometimes USER is really a four letter word!
    >
    > Thanks again to all who have responded with their helpful advice!
    >
    > JL

    Install a hardware firewall!

Windows XP