SD Card "Write Protect"

Why is my smart card reader(s) - I've tried two different models - always
write protecting the SD card(s) - I've tried many! Can't delete anything off
them ... GRRR

This is despite creating the registry key and rebooting as outlined here.
Somethings wrong with SERVICE PACK 2!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx

quote:
Controlling block storage devices on USB buses
What does controlling block storage devices on USB buses do?

This feature provides the ability to set a registry key that will prevent
write operations to USB block storage devices, such as memory sticks. When
this registry key is enabled, the devices function only as read-only devices.
You can implement this setting as part of a security strategy to prevent
users from transporting data using these devices.
Who does this feature apply to?
IT professionals who want to implement organization controls over the use of
USB block storage devices

WriteProtect
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Control \StorageDevicePolicies

If you read the article correctly, the purpose of creating the rgistry key is
to make them read only, i.e. no data can be erased or added
--
there are no problems just challenges

"kimiko" wrote:

> Why is my smart card reader(s) - I've tried two different models - always
> write protecting the SD card(s) - I've tried many! Can't delete anything off
> them ... GRRR
>
> This is despite creating the registry key and rebooting as outlined here.
> Somethings wrong with SERVICE PACK 2!
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx
>

> quote:
> Controlling block storage devices on USB buses
> What does controlling block storage devices on USB buses do?
>
> This feature provides the ability to set a registry key that will prevent
> write operations to USB block storage devices, such as memory sticks. When
> this registry key is enabled, the devices function only as read-only devices.
> You can implement this setting as part of a security strategy to prevent
> users from transporting data using these devices.
> Who does this feature apply to?
> IT professionals who want to implement organization controls over the use of
> USB block storage devices
>

> WriteProtect
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
> CurrentControlSet\Control \StorageDevicePolicies

Even though the key wasn't there, I've created the key correctly with the
value of 0 which should mean I've disabled the write protect...I'm not in a
group policy environment so this should work.

Does it work okay for you?

I'm perhaps going to try remove the default driver for the device .
thanks for your quick response and advice :)