Would need some expert help here...

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Hey.

I want to build a Super computer for gaming. I was going to choose an AMD Athlon XP processor, but when I read a lot of the articles on the Internet, it seems like Intel has the best processors. Right? Again, in almost all tests I have been reading, there seems like Intels' processors are doing the best performance, when they are using their Quad in 800Mhz.

I wanted to buy the AMD Athlon XP2800+ processor, but it is only running on an FSB=333Mhz, should I rather cosider buying the XP3200+, since it runs at 400Mhz?

I want to use the Dual-DDR. I know that there is Nvidia which operate on the Socket A motherboards and that Intel is also running their own Dual-DDR. I wanted to buy Corsair memory and run them in Dual mode, but again there seems like the AMD Athlon XP processor can't use Dual-DDR as good as the Intel processors.

And when I choose motherboard. I am a fan of EPoX, since I think their cards are having the best performance, but should I rather consider ASUS, since their are doing a great job on tomshardware.no? What is best in Performance, ASUS or EPoX? Would you please suggest som motherboard modells, which is very good?

This is suppose to be a large investment. I am going to spend about 1200 - 1500$.

Thanks!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Can you wait until April or is it absolutely necessary to build now? Since you are going to spend all that money, you might as well get something that won't be considered "old news" after 2 months. Prescott (Intel's new CPU) will be released on Feb 2nd with its new chipsets coming out a little later, while San Diego (AMD's new CPU) will be released on March 27th.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If ou build this system now, then Athlon64 3000+ is the best CPU for you. It's better than P4 3.2 GHz for gaming.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Indeed it is !
Do me 1 favor, dont read reviews on this site anymore, they are Intel Bias.
Read them anywhere else but not here ! you wil get the impression Intel is faster, and that aint true !
29 March will come the Athlon64 3700+ out, dual channel on socket 939, this will be a beast !
If you want to buy now, buy the Athlon64 3000+, in 32 bit its faster then P4 3.2GHz and when windows 64bit comes out, you get extra performence !

THG : The last 5-6 reviews have allways either had skewed results, or just somehow strangely come to a completly diferant conclusion then all of the other sites around.

KalletheMan

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Ok, i suppose I can wait unntil somewhere in february. I am going to use it for gaming. I do not think that I will invest in Intel Extreme or Athlon64, since the are expensive as .....

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
STFU, I'm tired of hearing your conspiracy theories over and over and over. You're a turd and nothing more. I suppose you have proof that LBJ killed JFK too!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Consider the price of all the parts involved, then consider an XP2500+, overclocked to 3200+ speed simply by changing the bus speed to 200MHz. Look at the price advantage there. And the Abit NF7-S motherboard would be a great platform for it. Add some PC3200 DIMMs and you've got a great system on a moderate budget.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Here's a piece of code that's infinetly faster on an Intel, proving AMD gets beaten:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
for (int kk = 5; kk > 0; kk--)
{
cout << kk << "....";
if(processor_is_AMD()) kk++; /* mystery function that does what it says */
}
cout << "Blastoff!!" << endl;
return 0;
}

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
hell, how bout a delete windows function....o wait, no nevermind, that'd make AMD procs better than Intel cause they'd take care of the world's number 1 computer virus....

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Do me 1 favor, dont read reviews on this site anymore, they are Intel Bias.
Read them anywhere else but not here ! you wil get the impression Intel is faster, and that aint true !
29 March will come the Athlon64 3700+ out, dual channel on socket 939, this will be a beast !
If you want to buy now, buy the Athlon64 3000+, in 32 bit its faster then P4 3.2GHz and when windows 64bit comes out, you get extra performence !
Intel isn't sleeping either, the new Prescotts should be more than enough to handle A64 3700+ dual mode. Prescott will come in 2.8ghz, 3,0, 3.2, and 3.40! P4s are faster than Athlons in Audio, video, mpeg, and divx encoding applications. Also in some games like QuakeIII, and Aquamark3.

-------
<b><font color=red>Aquamark3 score: 28,208</b></font color=red>
<font color=blue><b>Intel P4 2.4ghz 533fsb - 512mbDDR - ATI Radeon 9500 pro</b></font color=blue>