Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

please help - blue screen/hard drive corruption

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:02:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My learned friends,

I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but when
I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options. Instead, I
am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins, usually to
100. Then it will reboot and the same thing will happen again. If I try F8
and start in either safe mode or any of the other options like “last know
configuration that worked”, it seems to scan the hard drive partitions and
the same count up will begin.

What can I do to solve this problem…I am very concerned.

I was told by a friend that I should go into dos and back to the important
files on floppy or CD. If you agree with this please tell me how.

Thanking you in advance

Yours,

Joe

OS = XP Pro
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:36:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes!!! Backup now!!! I lost a backup hard drive with 3 years of data on it
(including my wedding pictures!)

Regular backups are important - but when trouble's brewing with your system
it becomes even more important!

Also, in order to solve the problem, it's very important to know the exact
text of any error messages that show up (unless the system reboots too fast
to write it down - then I'd suggest a digital camera to take a picture of it).

"JOE X5" wrote:

> My learned friends,
>
> I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but when
> I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options. Instead, I
> am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
> physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins, usually to
> 100. Then it will reboot and the same thing will happen again. If I try F8
> and start in either safe mode or any of the other options like “last know
> configuration that worked”, it seems to scan the hard drive partitions and
> the same count up will begin.
>
> What can I do to solve this problem…I am very concerned.
>
> I was told by a friend that I should go into dos and back to the important
> files on floppy or CD. If you agree with this please tell me how.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe
>
> OS = XP Pro
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JOE X5 <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My learned friends,
>
>I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but when
>I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options. Instead, I
>am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
>physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins, usually to
>100.

This is puzzling. If the hard drive is unusable, then where is it
dumping memory to? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As a WAG, I'd
say that the hard drive has failed.

It would help us a lot if you would post the *exact* text of the error
message you're seeing.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Slattery_T@bls.gov
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:07:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Do you see any error messages or codes on the blue screen? If so, could you
please post them here? With those the problem you are having may be
narrowed down.

--


Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"JOE X5" <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:046931CA-79B8-424B-8659-C114330A0287@microsoft.com...
> My learned friends,
>
> I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but
> when
> I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options.
> Instead, I
> am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
> physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins, usually
> to
> 100. Then it will reboot and the same thing will happen again. If I try F8
> and start in either safe mode or any of the other options like "last know
> configuration that worked", it seems to scan the hard drive partitions and
> the same count up will begin.
>
> What can I do to solve this problem.I am very concerned.
>
> I was told by a friend that I should go into dos and back to the important
> files on floppy or CD. If you agree with this please tell me how.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe
>
> OS = XP Pro
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 6:19:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My learned friends,

The message I am getting on the blue screen is:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent or not writable
Beginning dump of physical Memory
Dumping Physical Memory to disk:

Let me know if this helps and what steps to take.

Thank you

"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> JOE X5 <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My learned friends,
> >
> >I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but when
> >I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options. Instead, I
> >am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
> >physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins, usually to
> >100.
>
> This is puzzling. If the hard drive is unusable, then where is it
> dumping memory to? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As a WAG, I'd
> say that the hard drive has failed.
>
> It would help us a lot if you would post the *exact* text of the error
> message you're seeing.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 2:25:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Dependent on which type of XP CD you have, please try the following link to
Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
(218)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--


Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"JOE X5" <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CAA57874-9877-4724-B615-6BA1255D4FEF@microsoft.com...
> My learned friends,
>
> The message I am getting on the blue screen is:
>
> STOP: c0000218 {Registry File failure}
> The registry cannot load the hive (file):
> \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
> or its log or alternate
> It is corrupt, absent or not writable
> Beginning dump of physical Memory
> Dumping Physical Memory to disk:
>
> Let me know if this helps and what steps to take.
>
> Thank you
>
> "Tim Slattery" wrote:
>
>> JOE X5 <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My learned friends,
>> >
>> >I am having a problem with my PC. I do not know how this came about but
>> >when
>> >I switch on my PC I am not taken to the windows user area options.
>> >Instead, I
>> >am told on a blue screen that that the hard drive is corrupt and that a
>> >physical dump of the memory is taking place and a count up begins,
>> >usually to
>> >100.
>>
>> This is puzzling. If the hard drive is unusable, then where is it
>> dumping memory to? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As a WAG, I'd
>> say that the hard drive has failed.
>>
>> It would help us a lot if you would post the *exact* text of the error
>> message you're seeing.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Slattery
>> MS MVP(DTS)
>> Slattery_T@bls.gov
>>
!