AVG free Version

September 8, 2005 10:10:01 AM

I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the free
version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
appreciate.
Thanks ahead of times.
Allan

More about : avg free version

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:19:54 PM

Simple answer is 'yes'. There are minor issues, if you are using roxio
drivers on your CD burner for example you will have to do some tweaking.
Read the FAQ after you install it for any issues.

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the free
> version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
> running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
> currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
> appreciate.
> Thanks ahead of times.
> Allan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:24:16 PM

In news:8B61B0BA-2AED-4293-A784-41B1ED031188@microsoft.com,
Allan <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering
> if
> the free version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version
> of
> windows I am running?

Yes, the fact that it's an OEM version is irrelevant. Any
anti-virus program that works with Windows XP will work with an
OEM version just as it will with a retail one.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
September 8, 2005 6:20:25 PM

Works fine, you would need to uninstall Norton prior to the installation of
another AV

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the
free
> version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
> running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
> currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
> appreciate.
> Thanks ahead of times.
> Allan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:20:26 PM

What other Antivirus software that is free will work or is the best for an
OEM version of Windows?

Allan

"DL" wrote:

> Works fine, you would need to uninstall Norton prior to the installation of
> another AV
>
> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the
> free
> > version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
> > running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
> > currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
> > appreciate.
> > Thanks ahead of times.
> > Allan

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:20:27 PM

OEM is the same as a 'real' install of windows, the only difference being
it's a little cheaper and is tied to the machine it is installed on. Other
than that, no difference.

(Yeah, I know, it's a simplistic explanation, but it gets the point across)

> What other Antivirus software that is free will work or is the best for an
> OEM version of Windows?
>
> Allan
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Works fine, you would need to uninstall Norton prior to the installation
>> of
>> another AV
>>
>> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the
>> free
>> > version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
>> > running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
>> > currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
>> > appreciate.
>> > Thanks ahead of times.
>> > Allan

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:20:27 PM

From: "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com>

| What other Antivirus software that is free will work or is the best for an
| OEM version of Windows?
|
| Allan

AVAST -

AntiVir -
http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

AVG -
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

CA eTrust -
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
{ Free offer extended indefinitely }

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows being OEM is irrevelant. Avast! is another free anti virus.

Alias

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> What other Antivirus software that is free will work or is the best for an
> OEM version of Windows?
>
> Allan
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Works fine, you would need to uninstall Norton prior to the installation
>> of
>> another AV
>>
>> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the
>> free
>> > version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
>> > running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
>> > currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
>> > appreciate.
>> > Thanks ahead of times.
>> > Allan

September 8, 2005 7:49:03 PM

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> OEM is the same as a 'real' install of windows, the only difference being
> it's a little cheaper and is tied to the machine it is installed on.
> Other than that, no difference.
>
> (Yeah, I know, it's a simplistic explanation, but it gets the point
> across)

Sometimes it's tied to the machine it's installed on, sometimes it isn't.
None of mine are.

Alias

> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What other Antivirus software that is free will work or is the best for
>> an
>> OEM version of Windows?
>>
>> Allan
>>
>> "DL" wrote:
>>
>>> Works fine, you would need to uninstall Norton prior to the installation
>>> of
>>> another AV
>>>
>>> "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> free

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:49:04 PM

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> Sometimes it's tied to the machine it's installed on, sometimes it isn't.
> None of mine are.

I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe ran
the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to that
computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.

Kerry
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:49:05 PM

In article <O5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
tems.c*a*m says...
> I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
> version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe ran
> the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to that
> computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.

Not according to the Systems Builder Site at Microsoft.

It's simple, if you ever built a computer, the defining component of a
computer, around which all else is based, is the Motherboard. Any
reasonable person would see that without a moments hesitation.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <O5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
> tems.c*a*m says...
>> I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
>> version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe
>> ran
>> the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to that
>> computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.
>
> Not according to the Systems Builder Site at Microsoft.
>
> It's simple, if you ever built a computer, the defining component of a
> computer, around which all else is based, is the Motherboard. Any
> reasonable person would see that without a moments hesitation.

I have access to the system builder site so I have seen this. The EULA does
not include this. The end user who purchases the license never sees this. In
addition this is new within the last year. At least in Canada it was
announced last year at a system builder event. It was stated at that time
that this was new. What about all the installs before this? MS will have to
change the EULA in order for me to take this seriously. If I upgrade a m/b
for any reason on a computer I sold I would still offer support and
certainly wouldn't expect the customer to purchase a new OS license. If they
bought a new computer and I knew the OS was still on the old computer I
would expect them to purchase a new OS or they would be on their own for OS
support on the new computer.

Kerry
September 8, 2005 8:43:38 PM

news:o 5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>

>> Sometimes it's tied to the machine it's installed on, sometimes it isn't.
>> None of mine are.
>>

> I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
> version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe
> ran the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to
> that computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.
>
> Kerry

If 120 days goes by, the tie is broken. The scammy EULA has rules, not laws.
These rules are not agreed to at the time of the sale and are therefore
invalid.

Alias
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:43:39 PM

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:o DM9yOItFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> If 120 days goes by, the tie is broken. The scammy EULA has rules, not
> laws. These rules are not agreed to at the time of the sale and are
> therefore invalid.

Nowhere in the EULA does it mention 120 days. I agree that the fact that the
EULA is not agreed to during the sale may invalidate it in some
jurisdictions. I'm not defending Microsoft. I'm not saying the EULA is a
valid legal document. I'm just saying that if an OEM Windows is installed
properly or you install it yourself you have to agree that it is tied to
that pc or the install quits. What you do after that is up to your own
values and ethics. It has nothing to do with the legality. It is a personal
decision.

Kerry
September 8, 2005 9:27:48 PM

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:o DM9yOItFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>

>> If 120 days goes by, the tie is broken. The scammy EULA has rules, not
>> laws. These rules are not agreed to at the time of the sale and are
>> therefore invalid.
>>

> Nowhere in the EULA does it mention 120 days. I agree that the fact that
> the EULA is not agreed to during the sale may invalidate it in some
> jurisdictions. I'm not defending Microsoft. I'm not saying the EULA is a
> valid legal document. I'm just saying that if an OEM Windows is installed
> properly or you install it yourself you have to agree that it is tied to
> that pc or the install quits. What you do after that is up to your own
> values and ethics. It has nothing to do with the legality. It is a
> personal decision.
>
> Kerry

I agree. And if the computer I am using right now gets stolen, blown up or
otherwise unusable, I will install my OEM XP on another computer and not
feel quilty about it one iota.

Alias
September 8, 2005 9:31:00 PM

> In article <O5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
> tems.c*a*m says...
>> I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
>> version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe
>> ran
>> the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to that
>> computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.
>
> Not according to the Systems Builder Site at Microsoft.
>
> It's simple, if you ever built a computer, the defining component of a
> computer, around which all else is based, is the Motherboard. Any
> reasonable person would see that without a moments hesitation.

I didn't agree to the password protected builder site. My EULA says nothing
about a motherboard and if I want to upgrade a motherboard, I will and
there's nothing you or Microsoft can do about it. There's nothing
unreasonable about upgrading a motherboard or replacing one that went south.
It IS unreasonable to expect someone who is upgrading or replacing a
motherboard to have to go out and buy another copy of XP.

Alias
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:31:01 PM

In article <eRL4QpItFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
maskedandanonymous.org says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <O5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
> > tems.c*a*m says...
> >> I know this will start another flame war but if you installed the OEM
> >> version yourself or if whoever installed it did it properly and the oobe
> >> ran
> >> the first time you booted the system you agreed that it was tied to that
> >> computer. What defines that computer is open to interpretation.
> >
> > Not according to the Systems Builder Site at Microsoft.
> >
> > It's simple, if you ever built a computer, the defining component of a
> > computer, around which all else is based, is the Motherboard. Any
> > reasonable person would see that without a moments hesitation.
>
> I didn't agree to the password protected builder site.

I didn't say you did and the rules are different in your country
according to you.

the person asked about "Computer" and I said what Microsoft considers
and what most reasonable people consider to be the defining component.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 8, 2005 10:03:04 PM

> In article <eRL4QpItFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> > In article <O5rqcIItFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
>> > tems.c*a*m says...
>> >
>> > Not according to the Systems Builder Site at Microsoft.
>> >
>> > It's simple, if you ever built a computer, the defining component of a
>> > computer, around which all else is based, is the Motherboard. Any
>> > reasonable person would see that without a moments hesitation.
>>
>> I didn't agree to the password protected builder site.
>
> I didn't say you did and the rules are different in your country
> according to you.
>
> the person asked about "Computer" and I said what Microsoft considers
> and what most reasonable people consider to be the defining component.

Well, you're wrong and being unreasonable. It is not unreasonable to expect
to be able to upgrade a motherboard or replace one and not have to buy
another copy of XP.

Alias
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:37:03 PM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:10:01 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Allan favored us with...
> I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the free
> version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
> running?

There's only one way to find out, but I'd be amazed if it doesn't.

I have been running the free version for several months now, and it
works just fine.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:37:04 PM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:37:03 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:10:01 -0700 in
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Allan favored us with...
>> I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the free
>> version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
>> running?
>
>There's only one way to find out, but I'd be amazed if it doesn't.
>
>I have been running the free version for several months now, and it
>works just fine.

Works with XPSP2 OEM, here.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:47:54 AM

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote:

>OEM is the same as a 'real' install of windows, the only difference being
>it's a little cheaper and is tied to the machine it is installed on. Other
>than that, no difference.
>
>(Yeah, I know, it's a simplistic explanation, but it gets the point across)

With some OEM versions there are some fairly important differences,
such as:
- Cannot boot to the Windows XP Recovery Console
- Cannot do a Repair Install.
- Cannot use the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard to get data from
their previous computer.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 5:22:35 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:10:01 -0700, "Allan"
<Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running XP SP2 with all patches installed. I was wondering if the free
>version of AVG antivirus will work with an OEM version of windows I am
>running? I thought I read it would not but I am not at all sure. I am
>currently running Norton but it will expire soon. Any respose I would
>appreciate.
>Thanks ahead of times.
>Allan

Running AVG at this moment with the same setup as yours, including OEM
Win XP. No problems.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: