Re Formatting a corrupt disc

Having managed to retreive my data from my harddisk (second disk-data only)
with bad sectors (and/or corrupt mbr??) I've decided a complete re format is
the way to go. Trouble is its been formatting for 20 hours now. It took a
couple of hours to reach 41% and a further 10 hrs to progress a further 1%.
Anyone know if this is normal for it to take so long?......bearing in mind
its a 200 gig disk
cheers
Steve
6 answers Last reply
More about formatting corrupt disc

    It might be normal - with a very old and slow computer. I just formatted an
    80 gB hard drive in about 20 minutes.

    More likely, it's a problem with the drive. Have you run any drive testing
    software on it? Usually there are free tools available at the website of the
    hard drive manufacturer.

    Run the tools from the manufacturer and see what you come up with - could be
    that the drive is failing and will have to be replaced.

    "Steve" wrote:

    > Having managed to retreive my data from my harddisk (second disk-data only)
    > with bad sectors (and/or corrupt mbr??) I've decided a complete re format is
    > the way to go. Trouble is its been formatting for 20 hours now. It took a
    > couple of hours to reach 41% and a further 10 hrs to progress a further 1%.
    > Anyone know if this is normal for it to take so long?......bearing in mind
    > its a 200 gig disk
    > cheers
    > Steve

    Steve,
    I would go to the hard drive manufacturers website & look for tools to
    check on the disk's viability. If it has mechanical problems,
    formatting won't fix it.
    Maybe time to check on the warranty status, or a replacement hard
    drive.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    No its not a slow computer..... 2.2 gig AMD processor and a gig of RAM....
    I'll try the manufacturers site....Thanks

    Steve wrote:

    > Having managed to retreive my data from my harddisk (second disk-data only)
    > with bad sectors (and/or corrupt mbr??) I've decided a complete re format is
    > the way to go. Trouble is its been formatting for 20 hours now. It took a
    > couple of hours to reach 41% and a further 10 hrs to progress a further 1%.
    > Anyone know if this is normal for it to take so long?......bearing in mind
    > its a 200 gig disk

    Only normal if the hard disk is bad, or going bad. Each time format
    encounters a bad area, it takes loads of time to get around that.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Steve,

    as the disk is formatted the format checks for bad sectors - and retries a
    few times. Don't know how many times, but the bottom line is that it is
    taking an age because it is hitting bad sectors and retrying, only moving on
    when it exceeds its retry count.

    The other responses are right - disk manufacturers normally have tools on
    their website that you can download to diagnose (not fix) problems with
    disks.

    From what you have said, I can tell you the disk is duff. I wouldn't trust
    it. Personally I'd file it in the round (or square) receptacle in your room
    that gets emptied occasionally (i.e. bin it).

    Brian.

    --
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    "Steve" <tentenmusic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Having managed to retreive my data from my harddisk (second disk-data
    > only) with bad sectors (and/or corrupt mbr??) I've decided a complete re
    > format is the way to go. Trouble is its been formatting for 20 hours now.
    > It took a couple of hours to reach 41% and a further 10 hrs to progress a
    > further 1%. Anyone know if this is normal for it to take so
    > long?......bearing in mind its a 200 gig disk
    > cheers
    > Steve

    If the drive seems to be stalled at one point (and 20 hours is definitely
    stalled!!) it means that the system keeps hitting bad sectors. From the lack
    of progress (and speaking from experience) the drive has a large area at the
    41% area that is VEY bad. There is no real way of knowing just how far the
    bad area extends - unless you want to leave the syetem trying till Christmas
    2006) - and if the drive has such a large area of bad sectors then it is
    extremely unlikely to provide even ).000001% reliability.

    There is NO reason you should continue trying with this drive, even if you
    get it reformatted the extent of the bad areas suggest that you will NOT be
    able to do anything with it. About the only useful thing you could do with it
    is to get a screwdriver out and open it up to see what is inside - hard
    drives are way too small to be able to use as a boat anchor, maybe use as a
    paperwight!

    "Steve" wrote:

    > Having managed to retreive my data from my harddisk (second disk-data only)
    > with bad sectors (and/or corrupt mbr??) I've decided a complete re format is
    > the way to go. Trouble is its been formatting for 20 hours now. It took a
    > couple of hours to reach 41% and a further 10 hrs to progress a further 1%.
    > Anyone know if this is normal for it to take so long?......bearing in mind
    > its a 200 gig disk
    > cheers
    > Steve

Formatting Microsoft Windows XP