Sign in with
Your question

How to make a joined\pool of directories in Windows?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 21, 2012 6:04:57 AM

Here is the thing.
I'm looking for a way how I can make a folder under Windows (XP, 7) that will reflect the content of many folders from different hard drives. I was googling this a lot and I can't find the answer.
For example take these folders (random names)

"M:\enc\temp1"
"I:\Books"
"I:\ss\5\lv01"

and make folder "Z:\pool" that will reflect the content of those folders. In this new folder I at least need to be able to make a search for a specific file name and read data with some other program. I was looking through sym links, but I guess its not what I need.
Maybe you can recommend me a software\explorer type of a program that can do it.
The only piece of software that does something like this is UPP mIRC script which creates a snapshot of different directories and can display them as one, allows to search trough the pool of them. But it's too awkward, and it is only a cached "snapshot", so that other programs can not excess data behind this snapshot.
Thank you!
November 26, 2012 6:58:39 PM

Anyone? Maybe this is not the right forum to ask such a question. Would someone recommend me a place where people would help me with this?
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 12:24:19 AM

Really..?
I tried. For days, literally. I dug through forums and topics related to symlinks, hardlinks, addons for totalcommander, I even found something I did not know about like a software called disParity (+DriveBender), common RAID, some other weird stuff, but no results.
This is one of those seldom questions that I have to ask once in a half a year for which I could not find a definite answer using Google or using my usual sources. People were finding solution for themselves, but what they needed was a bit different from what I need. Maybe I've missed something, I don't know.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 12:33:17 AM

The link I gave you took exactly 11 seconds. It isn't that hard.
m
l
!