Can a MP cpu work on a XP board?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
My dual Athlon MP motherboard passed away and I don't have the money to buy a new one. Is it possible that one of my Athlon MP processors works on a single (and cheaper!)Athlon XP board? Is there a specific board or chipset that would allow that?

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
I'd wait and se what other posters say, but I'm sure you can because you can turn an XP into an MP by simply joining the last L5 bridge on an XP and you can also turn the XP into an XP-M if you have a super-locked Barton and OC it via the multiplier like pre Week 39 ones.

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

sturm

Splendid
As far as I know the only difference between the xp and mp cpus is the mp is designed to work with another cpu. I know a guy that ran 2 regular xp cpus on an mp board with no problems. I would say you can since you can run an mp cpu buy itself.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Well, I answered my own question by testing and... yes it works! I tried an Athlon MP 1800+ on a Epox 8K3AE board (no complaints please :p) and the computer detects it as a XP 1800+!

<i><font color=blue>I take a whiskey drink. I take a chocolate drink. And when I need to pee, I use the kitchen sink! I sing a song that reminds me I'm a urinating guy!</font color=blue></i>